Part 10

"He's the traitor?" Hecate asked. "I was under the impression that all of the so called "Death Eaters" who aren't in prison right now are traitors to Lord Voldemort's cause. Am I wrong?"

Karkoff and the shop owner both turned to look at the girl. "Well? Am I?"

"Why are you at my shop instead of a different one? One like Flourish and Blotts?" The woman asked in return, trying to change the topic of conversation.

"You didn't answer my question. Should I just take that as a yes then?" The woman gave a barely visible flinch and hardened her glare. "Well then, I am here because I'm more likely to find books on traditions, the olde ways and olde magic. I also need extensive books on wizarding laws, the hierarchy of power, and pureblood etiquette."

The woman nodded and pointed Hecate in the direction of the books she was looking for. One she walked away, the woman turned to Karkoff. "Where did you find a girl that acts so much like a pureblood, but apparently knows nothing of our traditions?"

Karkoff smirked at her question. "She is the soon-to-be adopted daughter of the Volkov family. I suppose she felt that she should act like it."

***

Hecate gave a small smile as she set her giant stack of books on the counter of the bookstore. "These are all the books I currently want."

The woman stared at the stack. "Are you sure that you want all of these? Many of them will be at a much higher reading level than that of someone your age."

"I'm sure I can handle it," Hecate proclaimed loftily. "I am not your average ten-year-old."

The shopkeeper sighed and sold the young girl the books. "Come along, Karkoff, my wand should be ready by now."

The man rolled his eyes at her tone, but followed her out of the store and back into the wand shop. Temmino Reninter was polishing a wand as they walked back through doors. "Mr. Reninter, is my wand ready yet?"

The man gave her a small smile. "It just got done. Would you like the holsters and polishing kit as well?"

"Yes. What is the cost?" Hecate replied. If she thought he was charging too much, she would haggle with him over it.

"Twelve galeons. Nine for the wand, three for the holster and cleaning kit."

The heiress thought it over for a moment. "Deal. If I find that you over charged me, though, it will not be pretty. "