Chapter Nine.

By dusk, the still summer air itself seemed to be quivering with anticipation, and as darkness spread like a curtain over the thousands of waiting wizards, the last vestiges of pretence disappeared: The Ministry seemed to have bowed the inevitable and stopped fighting the signs of blatant magic now breaking everywhere.

"How's your head?" Ginny asked quietly from beside (Y/n).

"Oh, it never stopped since yesterday," (Y/n) said. Ginny blinked.

"How're you so calm?" Ginny asked. "There's, like, thousands of people here within the mile." (Y/n) didn't give an answer, leaving Ginny to find her own. (Y/n)'s left hand would twitch every minute or so, whenever they would stop, (Y/n) would either rock back and forth or she would fiddle with her locket, and then Ginny saw that (Y/n) had stuffed her ears. Though even then that didn't seem to do much.
"I'd be dying by now," Ginny commented. "Hearing anything but your own thoughts and voice? Yikes."

"I am dying," (Y/n) admitted. "And I can't even do anything about it because I can't use magic for another two weeks."

"Dad and Mum'll be able to help," Ginny said. "Bill and Charlie too!"

"With what?" Charlie asked upon hearing his voice. Ginny gave (Y/n) puppy dog eyes and (Y/n) tried avoiding them by looking away. This gave Ginny the chance to hurry up to Charlie and whisper in his ear. Charlie, his eyes wide, leaned forward and peered around Ginny to stare at a how nervous (Y/n). He slowed his steps and fell in line with Bill, whispering to him. Bill choked on his water.

"Oh, come on!" (Y/n) whined in front of them. "You're acting like I murdered someone!" Harry, Ron, Hermione, and the twins looked back at (Y/n) and Ginny in confusion. Their confusion grew at the sight of the eldest members of the Weasleys whispered to one another.

"(Y/n)—" Arthur began.
But salesmen were Apparating every few feet, carrying trays and pushing carts full of extraordinary merchandise. There were luminous rosettes— green for Ireland, red for Bulgaria— which were squealing the names of the players, various hats for respective teams, Bulgarian scarves adorned with lions that really roared, flags from both countries that played their national anthems as they were waved; there were tiny models of Firebolts that really flew, and collectable figures of famous players, which strolled across the palm of your hand, preening themselves, all in all, all kinds of merch was available.
The others soon found themselves distracted, giving (Y/n) a chance without questioning to roam for herself. She had been saving up the money she was working as a tailor in Valorie's boutique all summer. Initially, she was saving up for both holiday presents and little things for herself. Speaking of Valorie, (Y/n) found her and Mary running a shop together. It seemed to be a large hit as there was a decent line for it. 

"(Y/n), hi! Was wondering if we'd see you!" Mary shouted, waving the girl to the front and into the pop-up store. It was far bigger inside than it was outside. "Your jumpers were a huge hit!" she exclaimed. "Sold out of them within the hour! The earrings are pretty popular too. Saved one for you just in case. Take over for me, won't you? It'll be quick, I promise. Lily and Remus just said that they'd be in to help when things got crowded and I have yet to see them!"

"Oh— Sure—" (Y/n) agreed, switching places with Mary and womaning the cash register.

"(Y/n)! What're you doing here?" Valorie greeted as she came in from the back, a box of restock in her arms.

"Mary's going off to find Remus and Lily," (Y/n) said. "Do we still have the Leprauchan hats?" she asked.

"Oh, yes. Right here," Valorie smiled at the current customer. She took one out and (Y/n) rang it up and gave a total. "A real shocker that your Muggle line is doing better than the wizarding line," she commented, opening back up the second register and waving someone forward. "Your designs are great, of course, I just wasn't expecting them to sell out first."