P h o t o #27 - Velvety Cheeks

~Emma's POV~

I felt a thin layer of sweat begin to break out onto my skin as Kayla yanked on my arm, her grip deathly, but her eyes ever so sparkling.

"I know exactly what you should wear! I've had this outfit in mind ever since I met you, Emma!" She went on as she dragged me, with Cooper who carried a bored looking Connor on his back, Elliot, and Jonas following close behind, past a bunch of stores shoved together tightly in the mall we were in.

I processed the events that had gotten me to where I was at the moment.

After Connor had walked in the kitchen, dissipating the unnervingly uncanny atmosphere that had made the Appollo family's well adorned kitchen it's temporary home, scowling at the breakfast I set in front of him yet eating every bite of it anyways, and stating that he wanted to come with us for the day Kayla had apparently planned out, we all began getting ready.

Cooper had called up Jonas and Parker, Jonas grumpily agreeing to come and Parker stating he regrettably would not be able to make it today, and probably not even tonight, because he had caught on a nasty fever and cough. I still had an itching that it was my fault when I remembered the cold of last night that we were all exposed to.

And after Kayla had called the baby sitter she mentioned I had yet to even speak to, or even take a good look at, to come and watch over Kae the few hours we would be out, we were on our way.

When I found nothing else to preoccupy my mind with, the thoughts I had shoved into the back of my mind surfaced. Last nights events flashed in my head.

I knew that freaking out over this would do me no good, especially now. Even I, probably the biggest worry wart with a 100 mile radius knew that. Yet something evidently stood out in the events of last night, and the ones from this morning. I was wondering why neither Elliot nor Cooper have said a word to me about it. Elliot who had seen the pills, Cooper who had seen the horrified look on my face when I dashed from the kitchen.

I shivered at the thought of confronting them about it. I knew I couldn't keep pushing it away whenever the time got too close, I would sooner or later have to have a talk with both of them.

My focus returned, and I found myself already in one of the expensive name brand stores that were lined together tightly in the humongous mall.

I looked around at all of the stylish clothes hung on black and white racks that matched the interior design of the store. People garbed in equally stylish clothes and hairstyles milled about, fishing through the clothes, shoes, and even the racks of name brand sunglasses and jewelry.

Suddenly I felt very plain in my dark blue sweater and black leggings, my black converse scuffed, my hair in its usual tangled mess falling down my back.

Someone hooked their arm onto mine, pulling me away from my people watching.

"Come on, Emma!" Kayla laughed as she dragged me to the part of the store housing clothing for girls, "Since it's your birthday, I'll buy you anything you want!"

I gasped at the thought of it. "N-No!"

She stopped in her tracks and looked at me.

"You can't! Everything must be so expensive here. I'd be totally fine with, like, a book or keychain or something." I felt too bad having her buy me something so nice just for my measly seventeenth birthday. She was being too nice, I couldn't let her go through with it.

Her face sagged, a sad look setting in her light brown eyes.

Elliot came up behind me, clasping a hand on my shoulder. "Just let her buy you something. You don't have to be so modest."