P h o t o #28 - A Bud Of Selfishness

After begrudgingly trying on every piece of clothing that Kayla had given me before, even after a futile protest, Kayla had decided that truly nothing fit me better than the crimson dress that had caught my eye at the top of the pile.

Each time I stepped out from the dressing room, Kayla would gush about how great I looked in it while I became increasingly embarrassed, then think for a moment and say it still didn't beat the dress. And each time I stepped out garbed in a different outfit, I could see the boys becoming more and more impatient. I even think towards the end Elliot had even gotten up and left for awhile.

I finally put an end to this personal fashion show once I finally reached the last outfit, which received the same critique from Kayla just as all of the others did. I changed back into my casual clothes and we all made our way towards the cash register.

Kayla in front of me, almost skipping towards the front with the dress neatly folded in her grip, made me think of something. I never checked the price tag on the dress.

I leaned over past Cooper, who was at her side, barely registering the small, rigid jump that burst out of him and the jolt of Connor's body as he clung to his antsy older brother's shoulders as I studied the price tag hanging from the neckline of the dress. I almost needed the boy to catch me when I made out the numbers on the little piece of paper.

'$299 for a dress?!' That's probably more than all of the clothes in my entire closet combined! I quickly grabbed the dress out of Kayla's grasp, my sudden movements grabbing everyone in our little group's attention.

"N-No way am I letting you buy this for me!" I said, specifically pointing to the price tag, "How could you buy something so expensive for something as small as my birthday?!"

Kayla only returned my panic with a wide smile, "I think you've forgotten who you're talking too." She said as she pulled out a golden credit card from her purse.

I almost felt like passing out when the thought struck me like a hand upside the temple. I had forgotten how rich everyone here was.

Suddenly filled with feelings of not belonging in such a high-caliber group, Jonas chimed in behind Kayla.

"I'll help pay," He began, then turned to me, "If it'll make you feel better, and I had no idea what to get you anyways...so it's no problem."

Kayla, beginning to turn around and glare at the boy, seemed to think of something. Her eyes flashed from the glare to a more softer look as she turned to him. "Okay, that'll work out fine."

Jonas was taken aback by the sudden change in attitude she had towards him. I remembered what I had said to Kayla about him awhile back. I had a hard time containing the ecstatic feeling in my gut knowing she was following my advice. I hoped they could work all of their problems out together. I didn't want to see another fight like their last one break out again.

I bounced on my toes as I watched them pay, partly cheery because I was being given such a wonderful gift for my birthday, partly jittery knowing that such an amount of money was being spent on me.

I felt a hand clamp down on my shoulder, abruptly stopping the energy surge running through my body.

"Calm down," I heard the command from Elliot behind me, "Like I said, you don't have to feel bad about any of this. She wants to do this, you don't have any reason to stop them. It's okay to be a little selfish sometimes, you know."

I nodded slightly, a bit caught off guard by Elliot's words. Then I turned my attention to his large hand firmly grabbing the blue sweater I wore. He must've caught my eye, because he swiftly moved his hand away, turning back to the simple purchasing of my dress unfolding in front of us. I turned my head to Kayla smiling happily at the male cashier - who already seemed to be quite smitten with her outgoing personality, I see - as well, feeling a bit of my usual, unquenchable awkwardness tugging at my insides as I mulled over Elliot's once unyielding hand.