P h o t o #6 - Unexpected Encounters

"Emma Maria Leighs! Why in God's name are you so late?! You almost gave your poor grandmother a heart attack!" My grandmother screamed as I made my way into the house way past my usual after school curfew.

I looked at her with honest, tired eyes. Here's the thing about my grandmother. She can be a sweet old lady who gives out candy one minute, but if you anger her, she'll turn in godzilla the next. At the moment, I wasn't entirely in the mood to negotiate.

Or grandmazilla if we wanna get creative here. But I think my day was filled over the brim with enough creativity as it was.

Anyways, enough joking aside here, I could almost see my grounding in the future.

"Gr-Grandmother...I told you I stayed behind to study..." I looked down at my folded hands in my lap as I sat at the kitchen table my grandmother had pulled me too, trying to tough if out through her interrogation.

"I understand that, but why didn't you call me? And why are you in that outfit when it's freezing outside? It may be the end of August but you know how cold it gets around here." Grandmother answered, but a bit calmer than before.

"Uh, I'm sorry. I guess I just got sucked into the textbook. You know how I am with reading, I lose track of time so easily. Oh yeah, I also ordered a coffee from the cafe" -Yes, our school does have a small one in the cafeteria-"and I spilled in on myself. Clumsy me. Eheh." I tried to smile a bit, but I think it didn't look to convincing.

Luckily, she bought it. "Okay. I was just worried. You are my only grandchild, after all. I want to make sure you're always alright."

"Thanks, grandmother." I ran up to her and gave her a hug, which she quickly returned.

I knew I didn't deserve her hug because of my actions lately, but I just wanted to endulge in my sweet-smelling grandmother for a moment. Our hug lasted for a short amount of time before she broke off and told me she was going to make dinner.

"Oh, and why do you smell like waffle batter?" My grandmother asked ]as she turned the stove on.

"Ahh, I was wondering about that too..." I exclaimed, but quickly changed the subject. "Alright, I have a shift down at Walmart tonight. I'll be home late but don't worry, I won't forget to eat." I said as I made my way up the stairs to change into my blue uniform.

Yes, I worked at Walmart as a clerk. I know exactly what you're thinking. "Why on Earth would you want to work there exactly...?" Yes, yes, I understood that Walmart is the epitome of atrocious emporiums, with it's rumors of wild customers and dreadful managers, but I swear there was a good reason behind my motives.

The day I moved into my grandmother's house, I had made a promise to her that I would take on a job so I could help out with groceries or other necessities in our household in any way I could. Of course, being the amazing grandmother she is, she wouldn't have it. At first. So, after some convincing with grandmother, she told me one of her old friends who manage at the store said I could work part time there. Which I gladly accepted.

Sometimes it's a pain in the neck, juggling school on top of it, but most of the time it was quite decent. I worked with a lot of pretty nice people. It was usually the customers that put me in a bad mood.

I looked at the clock once I got into my room. I still had about a half an hour until I was supposed to clock in, so I decided to quickly wash my hair.

I briskly stuck my head into the shower and scrubbed the dried batter smell out of my black locks, running my boney fingers through the mess in an attempt of a quick comb job. I wrapped a towel around the wet strands once I finished.