P h o t o #13 - Salty Sea Air

All confidence drained out of me as I stared at the hugest roller coaster I've ever seen in my life. A 320 feet high, red and orange contraption with a 90 degrees drop that could rip anyone's stomach right out of their body with all of the force. My face was absent of all color just at the thought. Taking one last gulp, I turned my back to see an excited Cooper, Kayla, and Jonas while Parker and Elliot stood off to the side, obviously keeping quite the distance from the commotion.

Next thing I knew, I was being strapped into the front seat of the death machine.

Okay, let me explain how this crazy even even started. It started with this morning:

***

It was five hours earlier when I had just I groggily opened my eyes, suddenly realizing that a big ball of fur clouded my vision. "Hey...Misty..." I whispered, scooting the fuzzy body out of my face a bit. She gave a startled little meow but quickly went back to sleep. I sat up, slowly lifting my hand to pull back the curtains that kept out the Saturday morning sun. I winced a bit, my eyes not yet adjusting to the brightness. After rubbing some of the sleep out of my tired eyes and putting on my glasses that sat on the table next to my bed, I looked over to see the time on my digital clock.

10:32 a.m.

I nodded slightly, pulling the warm blue comforter off of my body and exposing my bare legs to the chilly air in my room. I shivered a bit, how could the sun be shining so brilliantly outside my window and yet not have enough energy to spare on my humble little room? I walked over to the large pile of clothing in front of my closet with a yawn. 'I really need to clean this place up...' I thought as I dug through the pile until I came across my red and black plaid pajama pants. I quickly slipped out of the shorts and into the thick wool clothing and, in no time at all, made it downstairs to get some breakfast.

I walked down the steps slowly, expecting to see grandmother cooking or cleaning somewhere inside the house. After looking around the main floor, I was taken aback by the emptiness of the small house. I walked into the kitchen to check once more, but this time I found a note hanging on the fridge in her fancy hand writing.

Emma,

Going to go to the automobile shop with Mrs. Medly, the car needs an oil change. Be back around noon.

-Grandmother.

I let out a breath I didn't know I had been holding. She never usually went out on her own with Mrs. Medly (who was also around grandmother's age), and when she did it was usually for groceries or to get her hair done. I usually went to go get the car fixed up for her on my own and other things along that line. She'll probably be fine with Mrs. Medly there. Plus the usual car repair man was a very nice guy. I just couldn't help myself from worrying sometimes. I was just like my mother.

With a shake of the head, I flew all of the thoughts that were followed by my mother. I didn't need to make myself depressed on a weekend. My only oasis from the crazy life I now found myself living in.

I had come to realize that ever since I had made friends with the four boys, grandmother had been treating me a smudge differently. Usually she would have booted my butt out of bed to drive her to the shop, telling me some crazy assumption of how we would forget or something would go wrong if we didn't do it right at this moment. Now she gives me more space and time alone, which I'm a bit glad, but also a bit uncomfortable with. Maybe I'm just not used to it.

I walked towards the cupboard, deciding to just have some simple cereal for breakfast. Now that I remembered as I looked threw the various boxed of sugary goodness, I didn't have work this weekend either. Janice called me last night telling me not to come in and saying it was a punishment for Zachary to work all of the shifts by himself to teach him responsibility or something like that. I could even hear Zach yelling for me in background. I chuckled at the memory.