P h o t o #44 - Two Churros

"You can definitely tell that you've improved, Kayla."

"Oh please, don't lie to her Emma. You don't want to go and give her any false hope, now."

"No, seriously, you guys should take a bite of these pancakes, they're delicious."

I took another hearty mouthful of my breakfast, almost twirling my syrupy fork between my slim fingers, marveling at how well I had taught Kayla just an hour before. After we had both woke up from a nice night of marathoning a bunch of age old cartoons that reminded us of our younger years and crashing in the living room one by one, Kayla had the grand idea of cooking us all up a nice breakfast to enjoy. I immediately stumbled after her into the kitchen, making sure not to stir the boys as they continued to sleep, and spent a good amount of time talking her out of it. I was able to talk some sense into her, but not without painstakingly agreeing to teaching her how to actually cook something edible.

I shoved yet another night of the sweet dish into my mouth, quite happy with myself that I was able to teach this girl, who seemed to be a mess in the kitchen, how to actually make something correctly. Though I did end up doing about half of the work, that didn't stop me from being content with it.

I directed my eyes back at the boys in the wide doorway once more, ignoring Kayla's slight fuming in my peripheral vision at Jonas' earlier comment. All four of them decked out in their own personal nightwear, they each had an individual look of dishevelment that could only be caused by a good night's sleep. Besides Kayla, who had immediately excused herself to freshen up once she caught a horrified glimpse of her knotted hair in the reflection of the accent mirror hanging on the wall of the kitchen, even I had my own nest of curls tied in a bunch atop my head, and I could bet that the oversized clothes Kayla had lent me were as wrinkled as can be.

I barely even nurtured the thought though, I was just too busy enjoying the sweet taste of my fluffy golden breakfast as I swallowed. It was almost too good to be true that I had even found a moderately sized glass bottle of blueberry syrup in the Appollo family's high-tec refrigerator, so it made my morning all the more enjoyable.

The small cluttering of a plate being removed from the table I had set just moments before caused me to cease my swooning. I looked up and immediately made eye contact with a pair of glossy hazel irises that had no trouble sending my heart a flutter against my rib cage.

Elliot's muddled dark tufts upon his cranium shook along with the swift turn of his head, and the sudden pain that shot through my chest at my quick rejection almost had my doubling over in shock as I raised a hand to my chest.

I scrunched my eyebrows together for a second as I inspected myself for any unwanted injuries I hadn't detected until now, overhearing Elliot's smooth, yet obviously tired voice speak up.

"You mind if I try one?"

Kayla's light cocoa eyes light up as she darted from her stance at the other end of the island as I lifted my gaze once again. My eyes bored into Elliot's broad back, tracing along the creases in the gray fabric where his shoulder blade protruded as Kayla's swift arms grabbed a large spatula and served Elliot a few of her newly famous hot cakes.

The other three finally filed into the kitchen, drawn in by Elliot's bravery in willingly trying something Kayla had whipped together. As a chorus of clinking plates ensued before me as they lifted from their setting, the presence of a new set of eyes beckoned my attention.

Warm caramel irises lingered as Cooper picked up his sandy-colored glass plate, his large eyes obviously taking note in my slight shift in exterior. My own dark eyes widened in spite of myself as we locked gazes.