7. All The Wrong Moves

Eddie, Jack, Kim, Milton, and I were sitting in the cafeteria for lunch. I brought an apple just like everyday. I got a tray but I would always give it to Jerry or Jack. Sometimes they split it. I was sitting in between Jack and Kim.

"Guys," Jerry runs up to our table with a flyer and his speaker. "I got us the opportunity of a lifetime. We're gonna be rich!"

"For the last time, your mom's car has a leak. There's no oil under your house." Milton complains.

"No, I signed us up for The Battle of the Dance Crews competition at the mall. Check it." He holds up the little flyer letting us all look at it.

"Whoa, first prize wins $1,000." Kim snatches the flyer out of Jerry's hand.

"It's not just about the money. I've always loved dancing. You know, when I was a baby, my mom hung a disco ball over my crib."

I chuckle, "Did it ever fall on your head?" Jack let's out a small snicker, giving me a high five.

"Did what ever fall on my head?"

I sigh, leaning my head on my hand. "It was worth a shot."

"Jerry, that sounds great, but we're not a dance crew." Eddie points out.

"I have the skills and I'll teach you the moves. And if we work hard, we can win this together. Now what do you say?" Jerry asks.

"I'm in." Eddie states.

"Okay. Absolutely." Kim smiles.

"Let's do it." Milton cheers.

"Jack? Naomi?" Jerry asks, hopefully.

"Uh, I don't know, Jer." I say.

"Why not?"

"I can't dance to save my life." I look at my apple. I felt really bad for lying but I didn't know what else to do.

"Please, Naomi."

"Ehhhh..."

"I'll let you use me as a punching dummy the week after the competition."

"Make it a week and a half and I get ten bucks."

"Five."

"Nine."

"Six."

"Eight."

"Seven."

"Ten."

"Deal!"

"Fine. I guess I'll try it out."

"Okay. Jerry, you got yourself a crew." Jack dabs up Jerry.

"Yeah. Wasabi?" Jerry puts a fist to a flat hand.

We all stand up and do the same. "Wasabi."

"Whoo!" Jerry cheers as we all sit down. "Aye, you gonna eat that?" He points to the mash on my tray.

"Have at it." I pass it to him.

"No, I want some." Jack reaches for it.

"Haha! Naomi likes me better."

"No, she doesn't."

"Yes, she does."

I glare at the boys. "Do you guys want me to go all mom-mode on you two?"

"No." Both say.

———
Jack, Jerry, and I were at Falafel Phil's.

"Is it just me or are these falafel balls greasier than usual?" Jack picks up one of the falafel balls and squeezed it. A whole bunch of grease just squished out into the tray.