Chapter{15.5}

The day started like all the others had. I woke up, was dressed and attended to by the maids, ate breakfast and then began my studies.

I have no class today but I must always study to improve. What would I do if May came back, strong and powerful and I was exactly the same old Lillian? She might never wish to associate with me again...scary.

Speaking of May, her letters have been coming more and more downcast. It seems as if her mood is deteriorating. I really hope that she is enjoying my letters...what of my letters are the reason she's so upset?? Should I stop writing? No but that would be rude...

Hm, it's better to not think about these things and fully immerse myself into my studies. My moods have been spiralling these days, I wonder why I'm so on edge?

I went back to my books, now being able to fully focus again, until I heard the fumbling of the window latch.

I turned around just in time to see May, tumbling through the window in an inelegant manner, but sticking the landing.

I felt my heart leap in my chest as I looked upon the face I hadn't seen in far too long. I could immediately smell the sweet scent of grass and the room felt a few degrees warmer. She looked up and gave me a toothy grin, her eyes scrunching in the cutest way, freckles flexing over the bridge of her nose. The light shone in from the window behind her and I swore for a moment I mistook her for an angel.

I haven't felt this elated in a long time. I almost ran over to her in joy, but before I vaulted myself into her arms I managed to control myself. If I'm too forward and she rejects me I think my heart would shatter irreparably.

The greatest smile found its way onto my face, "May, you're back."

"Of course," she took a gallant step forward and then dropped to one knee, "how am I supposed to protect my lady if I'm always so far away from you?"

She took my hand in hers, and as my heart attempted to escape the confines of my chest, she placed a tender kiss on my hand. It was short and sweet and as she lifted her face away I continued to feel the warmth lingering on my knuckles.

I hastily asked a question to disguise my embarrassment, "But why are you back so soon? Shouldn't you be training right now?"

"Ah, don't worry, I won't skimp out on my training, I'll get strong. I just had something more important to do today."

May covered her face coolly, as if in contemplation.

"I was wondering if you'd maybe uh...wanna spend the day with me?"

A shock ran through my body, every nerve on end. This is...a date right. Two young women spending the day together, alone, one having feelings for the others.

Unable to control myself this time I grabbed both her hands in mine.

"YES,"

While her hands were similar in size to my own, they had an attractive sturdiness and they radiated a comforting warmth, no doubt calloused from hard work. I could hold hands like these forever.

May had a stunned look on her face and I quickly realised I'd been too enthusiastic, "...ahem I mean yes, that sounds wonderful."

She seemed to collect herself, "AH, well, ahem that's great. I'll make sure this is a day to remember."

I stood for a moment, utterly absorbed with her.

"I'll uh...get the horse then."

I quickly turned away, noticing that I'd been staring, "Ah, right yes, I'll meet you outside," I stammered, then with as much elegance as I could muster, I walked out the door.