Chapter{13.5}

As much as I hate to admit it, ever since I've met a certain energetic, heroic, dashing... ahem knight in training I've become a love struck fool. So much so that when I received her first letter three days after she left for the academy I found myself scrambling to my room to read it in secrecy.

Usually I'd do everything within my power to make myself as presentable and ladylike as possible as to not shame the family name. However, when I think of her gorgeous grin and the childlike sparkle in her eyes I lose all ability to care. Deep down I know she'd stick by my side no matter how I looked or acted. Her opinion seems to be the only one I care about these days.

Sitting down at my organised desk, in my cold room, I can my red face. I tell myself it's from running down the halls, but anyone else would tell you otherwise...

I pry open the beige envelope, taking note of the smears of dirt and faint grassy smell.

"That's very like her, isn't it?" I laughed to myself. It shocks me that someone so charming can be so chaotic...

"How should I know? I'm not the one writing to her every second of the day."

I jumped almost a foot in the air, whipping around and catching sight of the problematic child knows as my brother. He was casually sipping tea and sitting on the sofa with his back to me.

"Phillip! Why are you in here?" I demanded.

"I accepted a long time ago that I won't be able to stop you two from talking." He sighed, acting like an elderly man. "But I still don't like her, so the least I can do is ensure she doesn't send you anything weird."

"May would never do anything of the sort!" I yelled, losing my temper. No one can talk about her behind her back, not even by brother! "Now get out before I...I..."

"Yeah yeah, I get it." He shrugged his shoulders, walking towards the door. "Don't come crying to me if she sends you a doll made out of her hair or something." He stuck out his tongue.

I stood up, taking the pillow below me and hurtling it towards him. But he was outside the door before it could make contact.

I huffed sitting back in my slightly less comfortable chair. I pick the letter up, trying to lift my mood.

When I peeked inside the envelope the mood that was so sour turned sweet in an instant. Inside was a battered and withered daisy chain attached at both ends. A crown of sorts. I played with the petals as I read over the contents of the letter.

My smile never dropped as I heard about her many first day adventures. My cheeks began to hurt but the smile wouldn't give up.

Although I felt a little jealous of the people around her, she made me laugh a little so I guess I can forgive her. Leave it to May to stick out on the first day. It's hard for someone so amazing to hide in the shadows.

Even if I couldn't see her, she still managed to make me swoon in her letter. I hung onto every word as if it were a love letter and not just a letter between friends.

I chuckled as I read through her "fun facts". I already knew most of what she told me but the pure excitement in her words made me question of I really did. I know for a fact, if she ever tried to impress me with her knowledge I'd listen with full interest. I must read more so I can talk to her on every topic.

Around the edge of the paper there messy little drawings, absentmindedly left as her train of thought drifted. Along with the occasional inky splatter, seemingly innocent, but in actual fact hid her unspoken words. I hope one day she'll have the confidence to tell me whatever was written beneath those stains.