Chapter{14}

I bolted upright out of my comfortable position, staring at a room that I felt I hadn't seen in a long time. That's right... it was a long time wasn't it, that was such a long dream. I had a dream that I was reincarnated in to a fantasy world, to be specific the world of an otome game I played in my free time. I was elated when I realised...although I loathed the game seeing her proud face as she beat me down filled me with so much happiness I couldn't contain it. I wanted to reach through the screen and smother her with all the love in the world. And I now had my chance!

But reality is often quite different to what we expect...

My greatest fantasy became some kind of sick joke. I was the heroine here, of course she wouldn't just forgive me for taking away the things she's worked so hard for. Even if I didn't want them all the power, attention and love she deserved fell into my lap.

When I tried to return what was rightfully hers she was painted as the villain and accused of bullying and tormenting.

When I tried to stand up for her no one listened, they all thought I was just some kind of virgin-Mary character.

In the end...trying to fall in love, befriend or even trying to protect her was only killing her spirit faster.

I stopped trying then, maybe when the game end and she's exiled or attacked...maybe I'll have another chance to protect her. Haha what a joke. Who knew that my own shitty decisions would lead to her death. She died just as she had lived ever since I entered her life, tragic and torturous.

No one regretted. 

No one mourned her. 

No. One. Cared.

This isn't right. It wasn't supposed to be like this. Where is the punchline?

This cant be real... she's supposed to be here living with a halo. She's supposed to be loved, she's supposed to be adored, why isn't she here by my side? She should be here, why did she leave me? She wouldn't leave me, right? Why did they take her from me? If I can't have my happiness they cant have theirs either! Make them regret, make them mourn, make them CARE-

I lay back down on the bed, covering my face with my palms. I sighed a little then laughed quietly to myself without even realising it.

Of course it was a dream. Something like that couldn't be real, things like that don't happen in reality. I may have lost my cool there for a second... What am I doing getting myself all worked up over a fictional character? I should read a fix-it fic to calm myself down.

I wiped the liquid that was either sweat or tears off my face, before peeling myself off of the soaked bed sheets, reaching for my phone. 

Wait...phone? That's not quite right...

I bolted upright for the second time that night, this time properly taking in my surroundings. As my eyes adjusted to the darkness I began to see the damp, dark room of my shared dorm room. The white moonlight assaulted the room, showing the clear silhouette of Charlotte, sleeping peacefully.

I never left.

Relief passed over my tired bones, my tensed body instantly relaxed. I watched Charlotte's breathing for a while, syncing up my own breaths to calm my nerves.

I climbed across the bed to the trunk, sifting through the unfolded clothes and withered flower chains before finding what I was looking for. Lillian's letter.

I must have read her letter over a hundred times that night because when I finally accepted that I was still here the silvery moonlight had been replaced by the golden sunrise, warming my stiff heart.