Chapter 28 : Fire Forged

Brittney didn't understand what was happening; Seraph was on the floor looking terrified at the Lizard. The Lizard seemed to be growing, but that wasn't even the weirdest thing she'd seen. The stuff the Moo-ni princess brought to the football game was a lot scarier.

But Seraph looked like she was staring at the devil, which was weird, wasn't she a demon or something.

Brittney was about to say something when she saw Seraph, and terror wasn't even the right word. She was shaking on the verge of tears as she stared down that Lizard.

The Lizard jumped at Seraph, but before it could reach the horned girl, Brittney just kicked it in the side.

"Buzz off! You- you thing!"

The Lizard hissed in pain and turned snarled at the cheerleader. Razor-sharp claws sprouted out of its paws.

Brittney gulped, and she shuddered as the claws started to glow hot. Small yellow horns began to sprout from its head.

"Run," Brittney slipped out. "Run!"

The scream snapped Seraph out of it, and both of them ran as the Lizard chased after them.

0000

Marco had a sharp pain in his stomach; instinct was telling him to do something. He felt himself sweating through his hoodie. Marco couldn't help feeling like these two government agents could spell the end for the life he had come to know. Silently he promised himself never to let that happen to his daughter.

Janna glanced over him; there was a look in his eyes. It was hard for her to put into words; there was something she had never seen in his eyes before. It was something that she wasn't sure belonged in those eyes. It was scary but also kinda exciting. The pair continued to run away; the pretense was that they were going back to class.

Skeeves continued to talk to the agents, "Well, gentlemen, if you could just tell me what you were looking for, maybe I could be of some assistance."

Powers put it simply, "The unusual."

"Okay," Skeeves replied in the most respectful tone he could manage, "How about something less vague?"

0000

Jackie sat down before Mister Candle.

"Miss Thomas, do you want to start?"

"Uh, yeah, sure, I'm just not sure where to start."

"Start with why you wanted to come here."

Jackie paused as she tried to organize her thoughts. "I- it's those dreams."

"Okay, everyone has been having issues with those dreams? What happened in yours?"

Jackie continued, "It's about Marco. The dream we were together. We were in the middle of a date; it was like the stuff with Hekapoo never happened. We were together, and we were happy. It seemed so real. And while I was dreaming, I wanted it to be real."

Candle leaned back, trying to let the words settle, "It's perfectly natural to have such thoughts. Your break-up was somewhat abrupt. It is easy to see why you might revert to when things were…easier and maybe happier."