Chapter 35 : Tourist Trapped

Summer had truly arrived, no school for the family, and Rafael was between projects.

Hekapoo moved in with the Diaz family, her whole dimension was gone, and she was now bonded to their son. They didn't see a reason why not. Angie insisted that she had already become family, and she wouldn't let her be homeless. It was an adjustment, but everyone was trying to be welcoming. It's not like Hekapoo didn't enjoy living there. She loved now being able to spend every day with her daughter and Marco.

Marco's parents decided it was time for a family road trip to make her feel more like family.

Marco was very excited about this. He loved the idea of taking his little girl on a good family trip.

Marco was eager to help Hekapoo now, to show her more of the new world. Hekapoo was having a hard time, her home dimension destroyed, she was beaten by a crazy entity, nearly dying, and then surviving it by becoming mortal. It was a lot to take in. Marco was hoping that showing her that Earth was a pretty great place, she could get used to it and start calling it home.

So this odd family packed their bags and packed the car. Rafael was driving, Angie was shotgun, and the teens were all in the back seat.

Well, that was a little weird.

Seraph was only a few months old but physically a teenager.

Marco was physically a teenager but had memories of being older and focused more on the present. His mindset was a bit more teenager-self.

And Hekapoo looked like a teenager but lived far longer. Now she seemed to start aging slowly, matching Marco's age rate. Hekapoo did look youngish, and they wondered if she'd age and how she'd change if she even would.

Anyway, they sat in the back. Seraph sat by the window sitting next to Hekapoo, Marco next to Hekapoo with Star on the side of the other window. It was a bit tight, but they made it work.

StarFan 13 was going to feed the puppies, Nachos and Cinnabar, and Marco was fairly certain Janna would sneak into the house and play with them too, along with eating any food that might go bad.

They got ready to pull off the driveway when Marco spoke up, "Dad?" He held out his scissors.

"Oh right."

Rafael took the scissors and stepped out of the car, and created a rift. He smiled, happy to see he did it right. He got back into the car and handed the scissors back before driving the car into the rift.

The car drove onto a road surrounded by trees, the portal closing behind them.

"We're here," Rafael announced as he pointed to a sign that announced them entering Oregon.

Okay, they were cheating a bit. Gas can be expensive after all. They used the scissors to get them to the state and planned on driving around the state, stopping off at various tourist spots. As it turned out, Oregon was a hotbed for all sorts of tourist spots.

Angie had maps and dozens of pamphlets ready to head to the closest attractions as her husband drove.

Marco and the other tried to pass the time with traveling games such as I spy. That didn't work so well when they all realized there was nothing but trees all around them.