Chapter 34 : Of Life and Death

Many Years ago…

The portal opened, and Hekapoo walked out and took a look.

The rest of the Commission followed the Queen stepping out last.

"What a mess," Hekapoo whispered.

They were in the world of Malfraun, and it was indeed a mess.

It had never been a critical world to Mewni, but something was wrong. A little looking into it on Omni's side found something was genuinely wrong. They detected terrible and unstable magical forces.

"Why are we here?" The Queen asked them. "We are supposed to be expanding Mewni villages into monster territories, yet you'd have me here. Those monsters will attack again like they always do; I must strike them down before they get a chance."

"Patience, My Queen," Reynaldo urged her, "we would not have brought you here if it wasn't of the utmost importance." The giraffe man tried to calm the Queen.

"Then make it quick; why are we here?" Queen Solaria spoke up.

"Uh, this," Hekapoo held out her hands, motioning all around her.

Malfraun was a lush planet with life, flowing rivers, and lively villages. The ground was generous; they could farm bountiful crops every season.

The once blue skies were now crimson, the rivers were dry, and the land was gray.

"This world is dead!" Hekapoo shouted.

"What of it? Perhaps it is a plague or a conflict amongst the people. There is little we can do about that."

Lekmet poked at a building that looked like it had been burned, only for it to crumble.

"My gut is telling me something is super wrong here," Rhombulus grumbled.

"I was here a week ago; it wasn't like this," Hekapoo pointed out.

She had visited last week to help transport some of the food they had sold to Mewni; it went to one of Solaria's new villages to help with the startup.

Plus, she got some lovely jewelry. The Malfraun were a large bird-people species with an excellent eye for color.

Omni floated above them, "Something magical is afoot here."

"A weapon?" Solaria mused, "That might be useful against the monsters."

Hekapoo rolled her eyes. Why was Solaria so set on fighting the monsters? Sure they caused problems, but none of the previous queens had been this obsessed.

Solaria probably didn't care because these people weren't Mewman.

"Greetings."

The group turned and readied to attack, Solaria lighting her wand/sword.

They found a bird person. Her feathers were pure white except for her dark blue and black wings.

Solaria barked, "Identify yourself, Avian,"

She blinked, "Malfraun,"