f i f t y - o n e

In the morning, Chan was still gone. I spent the morning with Kunwoo, trying to keep my mind off what Chan would be upto. I thought it would be nice to have a whole day just with Kunwoo but when I heard the sound of keys clanging In the lock.

I shot up, my heart suddenly racing in my chest. Chan...

I felt so silly to be so desperate to see him again but after last night I couldn't stop myself. I rushed to the door, to see it wasn't Chan standing there. It was Mrs Bang, his Mother.

My heart sunk down in my chest and I had to try my hardest to suppress the disappointed look that was on my face. Why does she have keys to this house?

"Hello, Mrs Bang. How are you?"

"I'm absolutely fantastic, honey, how are you?" She asked me, in an unusually chirpy voice.

Her whole demeanour was completely different from normal. She had a large, false smile plastered across her face. It looked completely unnatural.

I thought maybe she just wanted to be nice to me since I was now officially her daughter in law but that being said, I didn't imagine she cared very much about how I thought about her.

I didn't want to argue or cause problems for no reason however, so I smiled back at her. "I'm doing okay, thanks. Me and Kunwoo are playing games in the living room, join us."

She followed me into the living room and immediately let out a large sigh. "Video games."

"Uh, yeah, like I said we're playing games."

"Well, I thought you'd want to play games that would stimulate his mind a little more. Can he play chess?"

God, she's unbearable. "I think video games can stimulate the mind too."

She scoffed loudly, dramatically loud in fact. It was clear she wanted me to hear it. "Don't be silly, Mina. Those games rot the brain! I suggest you stop him playing them."

I resisted to urge to slap her. "That isn't going to happen. How about we go to the kitchen and I can get you a glass of something?"

She nodded, seeming to let go of her little video game fight she was trying to have with me. I wanted her away from Kunwoo, it made me too angry to have her act like this around him.

At least in the kitchen, she wouldn't hear his critique. When we went in, she requested a glass of wine which surprised me considering it was only eleven in the afternoon at this point.

"Aren't you getting a glass?" She asked me, sipping at the deep red wine.

"Uh, no. I don't like drinking too much around Kunwoo."

"I was drunk around Chan all the time when he was a child. It was the only way to deal with him!" She joked, laughing to herself.

I took in a deep breath. Again, resisting the urge to slap her. "Was there a particular reason you came here or..."

She looked like she was really thinking about it for a minute then finally said. "Nope. I just wanted to talk...maybe hear what your future plans are?"

I scrunched my eyebrows together. "Uhm, like I plan to go back to work full time and-"

"No, like with Chan."

I didn't know what she knew about our relationship. I didn't really know what I knew about our relationship. My future plans with him completely depended on what his plans were. I didn't want to say that to her. I didn't want her involved at all, in fact.

"Well, I'm not sure. Maybe speak to Chan about that stuff."

"You know how men are. They don't really think very much about anything nevermind future plans!"