t h i r t e e n

"I'm sorry, I think I misheard you," I spoke out slowly, my voice shaking and weak.

I glanced over to Mr Bang's face and tried to detect something from it, anything, but his face was still like a statue. He wasn't letting me know what he was thinking or feeling.

My first instinct was that this was some sort of cruel joke on me because how could it possibly be real? Once I thought about that more, however, I quickly knew that it wasn't the case.

His Father wasn't exactly the joking type and I doubt he would agree to humiliate me like this. Mr Bang, yes, definitely I could see him pulling this horrible joke on me. I wished that it was some sort of joke or that I'd misheard them but deep down.

His Father cleared his throat and spoke again. "We would like you to marry Christopher."

"You want her to marry me. If it was up to me, I'd be out partying with hot girls but-"

"-but instead you're going to be less of an embarrassment on our family," His Father cut in sharply and I noticed how Mr Bang had flinched at that.

My brain still wasn't understanding what was going on so well right now. It felt frazzled, burned out. I opened my mouth to speak but absolutely nothing managed to escape. Instead, Mr Bang was the one who filled the silence.

"He thinks that I party too much. If I were to get married, it would make me look better."

"That's insane," I blurted out without meaning to.

It made him smile lightly, just the edges of his mouth twitching upwards but I could see him fighting it and his mouth forming back into a straight line. I'm sure his Father wouldn't have been happy if he had smiled at that. I'm sure he wasn't happy that I'd even said that but I didn't care.

"I think it's pretty reasonable."

I just stared at his Father and saw that he really didn't see anything wrong with what they were proposing to me. You're insane then, I thought to myself, absolutely insane.

I tried to slow my breathing and to think of what I should say. In a moment like this, so odd and unpredicted, it's pretty impossible to think rationally.

The question that I thought of was simply, "But why me?"

He pretty much had the pick of any girl that he could set his heart upon. His type was clear and I'm sure if he proposed to any of the girls he was currenlty seeing, they would jump at the opportunity.

Instead, I was being asked and that didn't make a single bit of sense to me. I looked to his Father.

"I've seen a million headlines about Christopher with some party animal girl and so I think that you'd be perfect for him to marry," He told me softy. "You just seem so wholesome. Exactly what his image needs."

I was experiencing a lot of emotions right now and I really didn't know how to cope with them. My chest felt tight and sore, like I was an instant away from crying but I knew I couldn't do it. Not in front of them.

Through a shaking voice, I asked, "How do you feel about this?"

Mr Bang looked surprised to hear me ask this. He straightened up in his seat and thought for a moment, every so often his eyes would dart to his Father. My assumption is that he was trying to think of the best thing he could say to keep his Father happy.

"I think you're a wonderful girl and this is a great opportunity for you. It means you'll get a lot ofmoney-"

"I'm not a prostitute!" I snapped, it seeming to shock both him and his Father equally.

I saw his eyes shoot up to meet mine and his little fake, sweet voice vanished as he said, "Excuse me?"

"You're offering to pay me money to marry you. I'm not some prostitute-"

He scoffed. "Don't get overly excited, Mina. I wouldn't touch you even if you begged me to-"

"Christopher!" His Father scolded loudly.

It was too late. He had already spoken and the words had already hit me like a ton of breaks, setting off all the anger that had been boiling up Inside of me.

"How dare you! You think I'd ever marry someone as fucking horrible as you? No matter how much money you offered me, how many millions, I wouldn't marry you for even a single day. You disgust me. You're an asshole. I hate you."

It shocked even me to hear these words leaving my mouth but it had been a long time coming. I kept changing my mind about him and thinking that maybe he was nice, but then he just had to go and spoil it. He expected to get whatever he wants. To talk to me like dirt and then have me extatic at his offer of marriage.

It felt like I couldn't breathe properly. I sucked in big breaths, each time I did my chest felt like it was constricting more and more until it would unbearably tight.

I was shaking pretty bad now and the tears that had been swelling up in my eyes now began spilling down my cheeks. I didn't try to stop them anymore, it was frivolous.

"Mina, he didn't mean it."

I laughed at that. "He did and you know it. He's a terrible person and I'm not marrying him."

His Father got up and I began to head out of the room, not wanting to be near either of them anymore. I felt sick to my stomach.

"Please, you have to think about it."

"I don't have to do shit. Good luck finding anyone decent who's willing to marry someone like him."

"Alright, listen, Mina," Chan begun. I saw the look his Father gave him, signalling to shut up but he didn't.

He made his way over to me. My instincts told me to head in the opposite direction but I held my ground. I wanted to know what he had to say. He stood close to me and his Father now, looking confident as if he wasn't even worried.

"Cha-"

"If we were married, I would never try to touch you. It would all be an act, Mina. You'd get access to all my wealth for literally acting as if you like me."

"Even that's asking a lot."

He rolled his eyes. "Don't be so melodramatic."

Melodramatic? I wasn't sure it was even possibly to be melodramatic in a situation like this. I mean, what is the proper reaction to have? I, as confidently as I could fake, stormed over to him.

"I don't get why you'd want to marry me. Aren't I an embarrassment? That's what you said to your Father, isn't it"

His jaw tightened. I expected him to say something back but he didn't, so I stormed out of the room. Of course his Father tried to stop me but I didn't let him. I headed straight for the elevator, deciding I didn't want to be here today.

Did that really happen?

So got some more chapters finished. I'm REALLY loving writing this, so hope literally anyone likes reading it.

I'm really happy with the way it's going. I think it's my best story so far. I've literally read over each chapter a million times and edited it like crazy, so I hope it shows!

Anyway, please let me know what you're thinking so far 😊