t h i r t y - s i x

The minute those words had left my mouth, I could physically feel my soul die inside of my chest. I knew I had to keep her liking me and I had literally destroyed any small shred of that but I couldn't just stand by and let her speak to Kunwoo that way.

Growing up as poor as we did meant that kids in school could tell. It wasn't something either of us could hide. Our old, second hand clothes often had rips in them, stains, or just didn't fit properly.

It meant both of us had faced bullying for how poor we were. So, terms like street rat cut deep, for both of us. I mean, who says that to a seven year old child? I had to let her know she couldn't talk to him like that. I didn't want it to become a habit she thought she could get away with.

She could speak to me however she liked but not Kunwoo. He was different.

"E-excuse me?" She asked, looking absolutely horrified.

All the colour had drained from her face, as if through a faucet, leaving her completely white. Her eyes were wide, her mouth left a little open. I guessed that, with all the power and money she has, nobody has ever talked back to her like that before. Plus, I'm sure she didn't expect me of all people to.

I sighed, trying to calm myself down. I didn't want to anger her anymore than I had already. I took a minute, thinking of what I could say to make this right.

"I'm sorry, that was rude of me to say but please don't speak to Kunwoo like that."

She scoffed as if it had been me who had been unreasonable. She really did act like some spoilt kid. "He was being horrid about my dress! It isn't my fault that you haven't trained him to have any manners."

I couldn't help but scoff back to her at that statement because it sounded so childish. Plus, the fact that she had said my dress and not your dress annoyed me even more.

She was a complete and utter control freak, that now appeared clearly to me. She couldn't even let Chan just live his life the way he wanted, she had to intervene and take control of it. Enough to literally blackmail him into marrying a girl he doesn't love. What type of Mother would do that to her son?

"He's a child. He does have manners but sometimes he's going to make mistakes. It isn't like he knows any better, but you should."

"Mina, take off the wedding dress. I'm cancelling the wedding."

My heart stopped dead in my chest when she had said that. I couldn't tell if she was being serious or not, it was so extreme of her. All I did was stand up for my little brother.

I cleared my throat, feeling my anxiety bubble up inside of me and threaten to spill over.

I thought that maybe this was an attempt to scare me, in the hopes that I would be too afriad to stand up to her in future. If that was her plan, it was definitely working.

"You can't call off the wedding," I told her weakly. I wished that I could speak with more vigor and strength but I felt like someone had just punched me in my gut. "Because of one little incident."

"I can do what I want. Now off."

"Wait outside, Kunwoo," I told him, seeing he was already pretty upset. He left the room, closing the door softly behind him. I then turned my attention to Ms Bang again. "Listen-"

"I need a girl who is good at taking orders and hasn't got such a short temper. I thought that was you, I really did but it clearly isn't."

Short temper? Did she expect me to just let her bully Kunwoo? He is only a child!

"I don't have a short temper. I just don't like when people are mean to Kunwoo. We've both been bullied for being poor, you can't say stuff like that to him. You can say it to me all you want, I can take it but he can't. He's just a kid."

I was saying that as the designer was slipping off the wedding dress, looking awkward as hell. I wonder what he thought of this whole situation, it looked odd. As far as he knew, this wedding was real and had just been called off by the mother-in-law because of one small incident.

As I began to get on my normal clothes again, Ms Bang responded to my comment.

"You were poor growing up?"

The way she had said that shocked me. She sounded absolutely disgusted by the mere idea of it and that made my stomach churn. It was as if I was a bad person for it, it made me feel like such shit. I had already admitted it, there wasn't really any going back.

"Yeah, we were," I stumbled out, feeling embarrassed of it all of a sudden. I shouldn't. It's nothing to be ashamed of and it isn't like I had any control over it. "We were until this whole arrangement came around with Chan."

She looked to the ground, seeming to consider things more. "Mr Park, go take the dress to the car. Me and Yoon have to talk in private."

So she's going to call me Yoon too. She sunk down on the bed as Mr Park left the room, giving me a sympathetic look as he did.

"Ms, I am a good person and I'll follow all your orders, I promise. I'll wear the dress and act how you want. I just can't have you be mean to Kunwoo. It's the one thing I can't accept."

"I just don't think I can have someone like you marry Chan."

What the hell am I going to do?

sorry I took so long to update wattpad has been acting up for me recently, I had this ready a couple of days ago but it wouldn't upload for some reason :/