nine

Oklahoma was known for its weather. Being in the heart of Tornado Alley made it common to experience violent storms. Caroline didn't think anything different during the storm sweeping across Tulsa in the early morning. Lightning ripped through the sky and the auburn haired woman sighed, knowing she wouldn't get any sleep with the roar of thunder rolling across the clouds. She pulled on a sweater and walked out of her room, seeing the light on in Teddy and Louise's room.

Knocking on the door gently, she peeked her head in and smiled at them. Her siblings were tucked up in Louise's bed, clearly scared of the storm.

"C'mon," she murmured, holding her hand out. They scrambled to cling onto her, Teddy dragging along his stuffed bear as they followed her downstairs. Caroline stopped to turn on the radio, the low drones of weather reports filling the room. Louise wrapped herself up in blankets on the couch and Teddy joined his sister, curling up in her lap.

Rain pounded the windows as Caroline grabbed a glass, intent on getting some water. She was about to turn on the faucet when the rain stopped. A moment passed and it came back, sounding heavier as the wind picking up slightly. Her chocolate eyes narrowed and she set the glass down on the counter, moving towards the window.

The wind began to howl, the windows beginning to rattle. The voices on the radio became louder and Caroline turned, seeing her mother standing by it. Helen glanced up at her daughter, face ashen and eyes wide.

"Teddy! Louise! Put on your shoes now!" Caroline barked, rushing towards the door. She slid on her sneakers and grabbed a flashlight. Helen rushed around, ensuring that the windows were locked. Caroline turned on the flashlight and grabbed Louise's hand tightly as her mother scooped up Teddy and tucked him into her body to shield him. The wind was roaring at this point and Caroline wrenched the door open, leading the way towards the cellar they have on the side of the house. Rain beat down on her, instantly soaking her to the bone and she desperately gripped onto Louise as they blindly stumbled through the storm. Helen slammed the door shut behind them and Caroline took that as her cue to start running.

Her fingers wrapped around the handle of the cellar door and yanked it up, helping Louise in. Helen passed her Teddy and Caroline lowered him down. The tornado was near, they could hear it. Helen glanced at her daughter and wordlessly gestured into the cellar. Caroline hurried down the steps, using her flashlight to find the lantern in the corner of the room. She lit it just as Helen pulled the door closed and chained it so it wouldn't fly open.

"We're gonna be alright, ya dig?" Caroline hummed, sitting on the small cot they had set up in the corner. Teddy crawled into her lap while Louise leaned against her shoulder, their soaking wet bodies attempting to gain extra warmth from her. Helen wrapped blankets around their shoulders and Caroline leaned back against the wall, humming a soft tune.

"Care, will you sing the song?" Louise whispered and Caroline smiled softly down at her sister.

"Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens," her delicate voice rang out over the storm.

It had to be hours until the storm passed. The rain that soaked them now chilled them and Caroline was desperately trying not to shiver and scare the kids. Carefully, she extracted herself from their grips and stepped past her sleeping mother, walking up the steps. Pulling back the chain, she pushed open the cellar doors and walked out into the dawn.

Branches were strewn across the ground, an eerie silence enveloping the land. The wind breezed past her head, teasing the ends of her hair as it tickled her cheeks and danced through the sky.

Caroline held her breath as she turned, releasing all the tension in her body as she saw that the house was still standing. There was some exterior damage and from her initial investigation, no broken windows surprisingly. The roof would need to be redone, so there goes any dream of having a car.

Taking a seat on her porch, she stared out across the debris littered land and took a deep breath. Her chest grew tight and she vaguely recognized the tears leaking down her face.

"Caroline?" the familiar voice asked.

"I'm fine, mama. Y'all go on inside and nap. I reckon they ain't gonna have school today," she hummed. "'M gonna get dressed an' walk around, see if anyone needs any help."

After she got dressed, her feet carried her towards the park. The tornado must have been weak because there was no real devastation, just small things. It felt so much larger, though. Passing the park, she headed straight for the Curtis house and Caroline couldn't help but let out a relieved sigh once she saw the house was perfectly untouched.

Darry was standing outside of it, his blue eyes studying the houses along the street. He locked gazes with her and suddenly, he was rushing forward and pulling her in for a tight hug. Caroline wrapped her arms around his back and let out a choked sob.

"Are you alright? Your house? Your family?" he asked, pulling back so he could see her properly.

"Just some small stuff. Gonna need a new roof and clean up," she explained, relief coming off of her in waves.

"Good. Didn't even see that comin'," Darry breathed and she swiftly yanked him back into an embrace.

"I'm glad you're safe," she whispered and he nodded against her head. In that moment, there were no other words needed. They understood each other. They knew.