fourteen

Of course it couldn't be a normal day for Caroline. She went to work like usual and was watching the hours pass in hopes of the day ending already. The hand had just passed eleven in the morning and she only had three hours left to go.

Then, the bell over the door chimed and she turned, sucking in a sharp breath. Curly Shepard and two of his gang members entered, their eyes catching onto the four Soc sitting in one of the booths.

"Damnit," the brunette swore under her breath, plastering on a fake smile and skating to greet the boys.

The Dingo was mainly Greaser territory, but Socs were known to frequent it. It was poor timing, however, considering two Greasers had been jumped last week. Tensions were a bit high in Tulsa right now and Darry had warned her not to walk alone especially as it was getting darker earlier. He had taken it as his role to pick her up or send one of the boys in his place. Caroline had protested, but the look in his eyes silenced her arguments.

"Mornin' boys, anything I can get y'all?" she hummed, ushering them over to a booth on the opposite side of the restaurant.

"Don't know yet," Curly grunted, glaring at the Socs.

"I will remind you that there is no fightin' allowed in here. If you wanna rumble, you take it outside."

The bell rang again and she smiled at the sight of Two-Bit Mathews entering the diner, a wide grin spread across his face. He raised his hand in greeting and took a seat at one of the tables while she went to grab him his usual soda. Popping the cap off by using the counter, she skated over and passed it to him.

"The usual?" she drawled out.

"Gosh, you know me so well," he teased and she rolled her eyes, writing down his order on her notepad before skating off to the kitchen.

"Order incoming, Paul!" she sang, hanging up the ticket on the line. The cook laughed at her brightened attitude, watching as she furrowed her brows in concentration while trying to line up the radio. In the three minutes she had her back turned, the Socs and the Greasers were trading glares and gestures. Curly gave a particularly crude gesture and that was that.

Caroline turned at the sound of a chair being thrown.

Fists started to fly and shouts filled the air. Paul gestured to the stove, indicating that he couldn't leave the kitchen yet. The owner had stepped out to go get some more cash and since it was the week, Caroline was the only waitress currently.

Fury erupted in her eyes and with a frustrated huff, she banged her fist on the counter.

"There ain't no fightin' in 'ere!" she shouted. Two-Bit dove past the fighting and joined her, standing slightly in front of the brunette. He crouched down, ready to fight and Caroline grabbed his shoulder, shaking her head.

"You wanna fight? You take that shit outside!" Caroline hollered, louder this time. One of the Socs paused and Curly took the time to sock him in the jaw. Practically growling, Caroline skated around Two-Bit and grabbed Curly's elbow, yanking him back. He whirled around and without thinking, slammed his fist straight into her face, knocking her into the counter.

The whole room went silent as she dropped to her knees. Two-Bit rushed forward but Caroline held her hand up to stop him. Her head rose, blood dripping from her nose and her lip clearly split. Her eye was already swelling and she grimaced, spitting out blood onto the floor.

"Jesus, Curly," one of the Greasers breathed.

"Out. Now. And don't you ever think 'bout comin' back," the woman drawled, cold and soft. It was not the gentle softness that Caroline Montgomery usually held. It had a certain darkness to it, like she had seen this before.