seventeen

Caroline felt like a teenager again.

Granted, that was two years ago but she had grown up quickly so it felt like ages. She felt like a giggly, simpering teenager in her new mary janes who was making heart eyes at the star football player across the classroom.

Except she was now a young woman who was in her Sunday best who was trying to hide the grin on her face by looking down at her clasped hands so she wouldn't stare at the man on the other side of the aisle.

Darry, on the other hand, was fighting a losing battle. His eyes kept glancing over at her, staring in amazement at the beauty of Caroline Montgomery. Her soft, brown curls were pulled back, a hat nestled among her hair. The classic red of her lipstick was slathered on her lips and he noticed the smile tugging at the edges. He couldn't focus on the sermon and he wholeheartedly both accepted the blame and pointed his finger at Caroline. Once the priest ended the final prayer and the room alit with the buzz of conversation, he stood and walked towards the Montgomery family. Louise saw him first and smiled brightly. He remembered when he first met her and she would hide her face in Caroline's skirt. Instead, she raised her hand to wave at him, drawing Caroline's attention away from Teddy. She stood up from her crouched position and turned, her expression smoothing from one of furrowed confusion to soft surprise.

"Hello," she breathed.

"Hi," he offered.

They stared at each other for a brief moment until someone cleared their throat behind Caroline. She jumped and whirled around, a sheepish smile spreading across her lips. Stepping to the side, a smaller blonde woman walked forward. She looked like Caroline aside from the color of her hair and the blue of her eyes. Crows eyes and wrinkles lined her face and Darry knew instantly.

"Darry, this is my mother, Helen Montgomery. Mama, this is Darry." Caroline seemed shy and timid, something he realized he didn't like to see on her. He wanted to see the fire in her eyes and the strength in her smile.

"Ms. Montgomery, it's a pleasure to meet you," Darry offered, his hand held out in front of him. Helen stared at it silently, her lips pursed and eyes hard. Caroline let out a soft noise of discontent and Helen sighed, reaching out and shaking his hand.

"I was about to ask your daughter if she would like to go on a walk with me, but if she is needed at home, I understand," Darry added.

"Jus' a walk?" Helen interrogated.

"Yes, ma'am."

The blonde narrowed her blue eyes at him before nodding once, turning on her heels and collecting her two younger children.

"That went well," Caroline commented softly, her shoulders deflating slightly. Darry gently reached out and took her hand in his. She glanced down at their intertwined fingers and grinned, heat flushing to her pale cheeks.

"A walk, you say?" she teased. "There's snow on the ground."

"I could take you to the local bar, get you nice an' liquored up, and send you on home," he commented dryly.

She slapped his shoulder lightly, a scandalized gasp escaping her ruby red lips as puffs of hot air spilled out of her mouth and curled into the frigid Oklahoma winter air.

"Darrel Curtis, we are outside a church!"

He laughed, legitimately laughed, and wrapped an arm around her shoulders, bringing her into his side. "Guess I'll have to keep you warm."

Caroline paused for a moment, tilting her head up so she could see him better. "Are you gettin' soft on me, Curtis?"

"Nah, being around you jus' reminds me what's it like to be young n' stuff," he said casually, shrugging his shoulders. Caroline knew how hard it was for him to admit his feelings so she simply brushed it off and instead nestled closer into his side, the rough leather of his jacket rubbing against her skin. They walked towards the park, talking about anything and everything. Caroline just found it so easy to talk to him whether it was about the heavy stuff or the light stuff. She told him about her father and how he beat her black and blue and he told her about Pony and everything that happened those few fateful months ago. Caroline told him about Teddy and Louise and how she dreamed of living a life in peace and not fear. He told her about his parents and friends and how he dreamed of living a life in happiness and not grief.

"Someday, it'll get better. I know it," Caroline said gently. Darry stopped walking, turning her in his arms so he was facing her frost nipped cheeks and nose and without hesitation, he kissed her right then and there in the middle of the street. Her arms encircled his neck, pulling him down so she wasn't standing on her toes. He wrapped his arms tightly around her waist, pulling her flush against him.

"What was that for?" she chuckled once she pulled away.

"Can't a fella show some appreciation to his girl?" he murmured, dropping a kiss to her lips once more. 

"Mhmm, sure," she hummed as they made their way back to the sidewalk. She pulled away from him and did a teasing little twirl, her eyes bright with joy.

"Go steady with me, 'Line," he blurted out. "I know I can't give you much. I can't take you on fancy dates or buy you nice things, but everything just seems to right when I'm with you."

She smiled that daring little grin and stepped closer to him. "You know I ain't the kinda girl that wants those things, Curtis. I'm happy when I'm with you."

"Is that a yes?" He tried to keep the hopeful tone out of his words but by gosh, this woman had him wrapped around his finger with one simple smile.

"Of course I'll go steady with you," she murmured, her lips ghosting over his. Before he could deepen the kiss, a car horn honked. They pulled apart, Caroline's grip tightening on his arms once she saw the Soc's car slow down as it came closer to them.

"Dare," she whispered.

"I know," he growled, gently pushing her behind him and out of sight from the hawkish glares of the Socs.

"Hey Curtis, nice broad you got there!" one of the Socs called. "Babe, what're you doin' with trash like that?"

Caroline's grip on his jacket tightened and Darry thought for a brief moment that she was scared. He really should know his girl better, because she stepped out behind him with a disapproving glare and pursed lips. It was a look scarily similar to the one her mother had given him just an hour before.

"Don't know if y'all are aware, but y'all are on the wrong side of town. I advise you boys to move on, go home, crack open your Bibles, and read somethin' for once," she snapped.

"That a challenge, bitch?"

"Oh no, I know I can read. Based off your vernacular, the jury is still out about you, sir."

Darry smirked, crossing his arms across his chest and drawing himself up to his full height as he stared them down. His girl was standing next to him, hands planted firmly on her hips.

"Keep a leash on your bitch, Curtis. You're lucky we don't hurt ladies, but if she keeps up with her smart mouth..." the Soc sneered and Caroline laughed coldly.

"He ain't a postman so I don't know why you're talkin' to him like he's gonna deliver me a message," she snapped. "Y'all's mommas know that this is what you do with your free time? Run along, little boy. I have half a mind to call up your momma."

Yeah, he was well and truly tripped up by this woman and Darry wouldn't have it any other way.