thirty

Caroline grasped Darry's arm tightly as they stood out in the February wind. Her brown eyes were fixed on the hole in the ground before them as Pastor Andrew read Ecclesiastes 3 outloud.

It all felt eerily similar to his own parents' funeral. To Dally's. To Johnny's. Darry glanced over at Caroline, his eyes casting over her face and taking stock of the healing bruises and cuts that still showed on her skin.

The police determined there to be no case against Caroline. It was clearly self-defense. There was no need to go to court and contest Teddy and Louise's guardianship either. She was now the sole caretaker of her siblings.

Darry refused to have her plan a funeral all by herself while she healed in the hospital. After planning three, Darry found himself to be pretty adept at picking out flowers and coffins. If he could take that one thing off of Caroline's shoulders, he would do it in a heartbeat.

"A time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up that which is planted; A time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up; A time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance..."

The pastor's voice droned on, but Darry's focus was on the woman standing beside him. Caroline swayed slightly and he steadied her with a gentle hand on her back. She shot him a grateful look before bringing her attention back to Helen's casket in the ground. Teddy and Louise stood in front of them, Caroline's hands resting on their shoulders as they tried to stifle their cries. Two-Bit and Steve stood to her right while Ponyboy stood next to Darry. The Shepard's stood next to Two-Bit. If she wanted to, Caroline could look up and see that she wasn't alone.

But the crippling grief in her chest blinded her.

The funeral came to a close and the few friends and coworkers that Helen had charmed all came to shake Caroline's hand and express their condolences. Ponyboy, Steve, and Two-Bit gathered up Louise and Teddy and wandered a little ways away, presumably to visit with Dally and Johnny, but Darry stayed close to her side.

"Curtis," a familiar voice greeted.

"Holden," Darry answered. "I didn't realize you knew the family."

Paul Holden shifted his weight on his feet, his hands shoved in the pockets of his suit jacket. He glanced over at Caroline who was nodding along to whatever the woman in front of her was saying while her hands absentmindedly toyed with one of Louise's braids. Caroline looked at Darry for a moment and their eyes met. She could read his unspoken question and she inclined her chin just slightly. He accepted her answer and returned his attention back to Paul.

"Caroline was my tutor in high school. She made sure I stayed on the football team. Helen was my wife's nurse when she had our baby a few months ago. When I heard about her passing...I wanted to pay my respects."

"Thank you. I know Caroline appreciates it."

"I didn't realize that you two were a thing. I wasn't even aware you knew she existed in high school."

"Things change, Paul."

"That they do, Darry."

The woman finally departed, giving Caroline a chance to rejoin Darry's side. She slipped her hand in his and pressed herself against his side. He could tell that she was becoming fatigued from standing so much. Her ribs weren't fully healed yet and sometimes moving proposed a challenge. He squeezed her hand to assure her that he understood.

"Hi Paul, thank you for comin'," Caroline said quietly. "I know Ma would have appreciated it."

"Your Ma saved my Lucy's life. It's the least I could do. If you need anything, please don't hesitate to let us know. But I'm sure Curtis will take good care of you."