eighteen

"It seems like the death toll in America is just beginning to rise. Today marks the second self-inflicted death of protestors, this time a man set fire to himself outside of the UN Building in New York. With the draft continuing and protests rising both against the war and race riots across America, you really wonder if this is the right time to dig our heels into Vietnam. That brings us to our next story..."

"Ponyboy, either change the channel or turn it off," Caroline called from the kitchen. "Teddy doesn't need to be hearing that stuff."

The brunette muttered something under her breath as she hurriedly searched for a towel so she could pull the casserole out of the oven. She spun around to find Two Bit casually swinging it as he whistled that damn Sailor Mickey song.

"Two Bit Mathews, give me the damn towel," she snapped. "I'm really not in the mood to argue right now."

"What was that, 'Line?" he hummed, tossing the towel at Steve and Sodapop. It landed neatly in the middle of their card game, scattering the deck and causing the two boys to glare at Two Bit. Within seconds, the three started wrestling on the floor.

"Hey!" Caroline shouted. "Take that outside! And give me the damn towel! Ponyboy, I told you to turn that shit off!"

She tried stepping around them and tripped over Steve's legs. With a frustrated huff, the brunette righted herself and snatched the towel off of the table before marching back into the kitchen. Caroline yanked the casserole out of the oven and slammed it onto the stovetop before throwing the towel onto the table and shoving a chair into the table that was in her way.

"Dinner's fucking served," she spat before pivoting on the ball of her foot and stomping out onto the back porch. The door fell shut behind her with a heavy thud and she promptly sat on the porch steps, bowed her head, and buried her head in her hands.

She didn't know how much later it was until the door slowly creaked open behind her and heavy footsteps approached. A warm body sat next to her, blocking out some of the wind that had been biting at her skin. Caroline sighed and pressed her forehead against his shoulder, letting everything wash over her.

"My father got released yesterday," she whispered.

Silence surrounded them but she knew that he was listening. Darry always listened. He simply sat there and was her anchor.

"What if he comes lookin'? We ain't got the money to run. Where would we go?"

"We'll protect you. I ain't gonna let nothing happen to you," he assured her. He was so steady and calm that she felt some of the tension in her escape. But there was a lingering feeling in her heart.

"And then this god awful war, Dare. What if..."

Her words died on her lips and she pulled in on herself, lifting her head off his shoulder. Darry immediately reached out and grasped her hands, letting her draw circles on his skin in a way he knew would calm her down.

"What if they send you?" she finally said.

"Can't. I'm the sole guardian of Soda and Pony. Can't draft me until Pony's an adult."

"That's only a few years, Darry. You really think this war'll be over by then?"

"Can only hope it'll be. It'll be okay, Care. I swear on it."

She nodded and then let him pull her into his side, a swift kiss being dropped to the top of her head as she tucked her face into the crook of his neck. Darry smelled like tar, shingles, grease, and sweat but she wouldn't change it for the world. Having him close by was a comfort in itself.