twenty-five

Caroline shut her eyes and relaxed as strong hands slid down her waist and rested on her hips. She adjusted her footing and leaned into Darry's chest.

"And you gotta remember to follow through," he said. His lips brushed against the shell of her ear and she let the edge of her smile curl up into a sly grin.

"Are all fights like this?"

"Shut up." His words were betrayed by the humor in his voice.

"C'mon, Curtis. You tellin' me that you get this handsy when you fight? A girl might have half a mind to get jealous."

He buried his face in the crook of her neck and let out a quiet laugh. Caroline tried to ignore the way her chest tightened at the sound of his laughter. Sodapop shipped out three weeks ago, leaving behind the fractured remains of a family already held together by chewing gum and spit. Caroline felt his absence in her soul and she knew Darry was trying to hold it all together. Moments of peace like this were rare and she would reach out, grasp it tight, and hold it to her chest until it seeped through her fingers and fled just like all the joy that remained before that damned draft.

"Why the sudden urge to teach me to fight?" she asked as he rocked them back and forth. He shrugged against her and wrapped his arms around her waist, his chin never leaving her shoulder.

"Dunno," he murmured. "Just thinkin' about stuff."

"If someone wants to fight me, Dare, they're probably gonna win. I ain't all big and tuff like you, y'know?"

His fingers dug into her stomach and he laid a kiss against her collarbone. "I know, sweetheart. Just gotta make sure you can hold your own till I can get there."

She let out an undignified snort. "Oh, so you're gonna be there to save me, huh?"

"Always, sweet girl." His words brought a familiar burning to the backs of her eyes and she swallowed past the growing lump in her throat. "I'm always gonna come for you."

Words fell silent on her tongue and her lips pressed firmly together to hold back the wave of relief that threatened to escape her. Caroline turned around in his arms so she was facing him. Her lips parted to speak but she couldn't bring herself to say anything and instead stepped back into his arms. He pressed a kiss to her forehead and then tucked her head under his chin.

"We gotta get back inside. You're freezin'." He understood what she couldn't bring herself to say. He nudged her towards the house and she made her way up the back porch stairs and into the warm confines of the Curtis house. Darry followed behind her but disappeared as he ducked into his bedroom, reappearing with one of his sweatshirts. She gratefully slid it over her head, savoring the warmth and musky scent that enveloped her.

"You go on and relax. I got dinner tonight."

"What's up with you, Curtis? You sick or somethin'?"

Darry kissed her cheek and pushed at her bottom, directing her towards the living room. Ponyboy looked up from the book he was reading and greeted her with a small smile as she took a seat next to him on the couch. Helen took Teddy and Louise with her to meet her friend Eileen so that gave Caroline a day to relax.

"Whatcha readin'?"

Ponyboy flipped the cover up so she could read it. "Capote is good. How 'bout you and I go to the library tomorrow after you get done with school? I work early tomorrow so I can grab Teddy and Louise and meet you at the high school."

"That'd be nice. Thank you."

Caroline studied him for a moment before sitting up against the worn pillow she needed to add to her mending list. She clasped her hands over her knee and rested her chin on it.