nineteen

A muttered curse across the living room drew Caroline's attention to the large man who was currently in a fight with some ribbon. A quiet laugh escaped her as she carefully stepped over the mess that surrounded them to make her way over to Darry.

"Careful, Superman," she chided as she untangled the ribbon and freed his hands. The brunette expertly tied the ribbon around the gift he had been attempting to wrap and lifted it with a pleased grin to show off her work.

"Show off," he teased in a gruff, low voice. He curled a hand around the nape of her neck and pulled her in for a sweet kiss. She rested a hand against his broad chest as she pulled away, a breathless laugh on her lips.

"Why, Mr. Curtis, are you tryna kiss me when we're all alone in your house?" Thanks to the heavy snow falling, there was no way they could work on roofs today and so they had the day off. Caroline was already scheduled to not work and so when he pulled up in his truck, she didn't think twice before hopping in. Ponyboy, Teddy, and Louise were at school for a few more hours while the guys were either working at the DX or getting pissed drunk. Sodapop promised that he and Steve would get all the kids home, leaving the couple to try and wrap the few Christmas presents they were able to afford.

"No chaperone or nothin'," he vowed, his hands sliding down to rest on her hips so he could tug her into his lap. She wound her arms around his neck and tilted her head to kiss him again.

"Curtis!"

The shout caused them to spring apart and hurry to their feet. Darry held his arm out in front of her as he opened the front door.

Two men stood at the base of the porch stairs. One was beat to all hell and leaning heavily against the other. Caroline recognized Tim Shepard as the uninjured guy and when her gaze cast over the bloodied man, she realized with a start that it was Curly.

"Fucking hell, Shepard," Darry snapped. "Don't tell me he got into it with the fuzz and you brought him here."

Darry stepped down the porch steps and placed himself in front of the brunette standing on the porch. Caroline hesitated but placed a hand on his tense shoulders. She could feel him relax just barely.

"He got jumped by some fucking out of towners," Tim spat. "Didn't come home last night and I found him near y'all's park just now."

"Well take him home and fix him up there."

"Darry," Caroline chastised quietly. She moved past him and hurried down the steps. Snow quickly fell on her hair and coated her with white flakes. It was cold out here and she knew Curly must be near death just from the cold alone. She stopped in front of the bloodied, beaten figure and carefully reached out, clasping her hand over his.

"You're freezin', bud," she murmured. "Quick, Tim, get him inside. Darry, can you grab some towels and as many blankets you can spare?"

Caroline began to hurry up the porch steps when Darry grabbed her wrist. He searched her face for any hint of what she might be thinking and found nothing but concern.

"Care, you don't have to do this. Not after what he did."

Caroline shrugged, as if this was the most normal thing in the world. "If it were one of our boys, I'd want someone to help them."

And then she disappeared in the house.

Caroline took control of the situation and ordered two Greasers around like it was nothing. An hour later, she had washed and bandaged Curly and left him to rest on the couch as Tim talked with him to try and get more information.

Cold water ran over her hands as she tried to scrub the blood off of her skin. It was caked in every crack and crevice and under her nails. She scrubbed and scrubbed but it didn't want to leave her skin.