5

Later that night.

Yulani laid awake in her bed, staring at the wall. It was currently 2:37am, and she was wide awake, her mind running a million miles per second.

She had two things on her mind. Jai, and her brother Yasir. She'd made it home a few hours ago without nobody realizing she'd been gone, thankfully. She really enjoyed the two hours she'd spent with Jai.

He had really good company, it was new. She still didn't know if she would fully pursue him because she knew Yasir would never approve of it.

No matter how many times she argued with him, if he didn't approve of something, she wouldn't do it. He was like her father, whether she wanted to admit it or not, and she would never do or say anything to make him feel disrespected.

She sighed, standing up from her bed, her socks hitting the ground as she drunk from her Gatorade. She sat it back down, quietly walking out of her room.

She walked towards the front of the house, seeing her mother passed out on the couch, and she rolled her eyes.

She turned on her heels, walking downstairs to the basement, softly knocking on it.

"Come in." She heard Yasir call, and she inhaled, before opening the door. She closed it behind her, seeing her brother laying in his bed on his phone.

He looked up, before his face softened seeing her crying. He held his cover up, and she sniffed, climbing in his large bed with him, laying in his embrace.

He rubbed her back as she softly cried, her arms wrapped around him.

"No matter how upset you get with me, don't tell me you hate me Yulani. I do everything I can to make sure that you good mama. I know sometimes it might feel like I'm picking on you or something, but it's never like that. I j-I don't want you to grow up so fast Kairi." He told her, and she sniffed, wiping her face.

"I know I'm hard on you, but I just want what's best for you. You my baby and I don't want nothing happening to you. I'm just tryna raise you to be better than me. That's why I want you to wait on doing adult shit, like a car, job, tats."

I want you to be young for as long as you can, because once you get grown foreal, ain't no playing no more. I just want you to enjoy being a kid." He rubbed her back as she silently cried.

"I don't hate you. I'm sorry Santana." She mumbled, wiping her face again.

"I just think it's so unfair how Yulan gets to do everything I want to do. You treat me different just because I'm the only girl and I hate that Yasir, foreal. I'm not a kid anymore whether you like that or not, and you have to let me-find me."

"I keep all my grades up, I never get in trouble or any of that. It's not fair that Yulan does all of that and you barely ever get on to him." She rambled, looking down at her hands.

"I just want you to let me out. I'll be 18 in four months. It's time to let me go, just a little bit Ya." She mumbled, and he sighed, holding her closer to him.

He rubbed her back, staring at the wall as he let what she said sink in. He wasn't ready to let her go, he didn't know if he ever would be.

"I'm sorry Yulani." He rasped, and she let out a low sigh, knowing it'd be harder for him to accept this than she thought it would.

She closed her heavy eyes, dozing off in her brother's embrace.

Yasir looked down at her after a few minutes, pushing her hair behind her ear, and turning to lay on his back.

He loved both of his siblings with everything in him, but Yulani had been the closest to him since he could remember.

Yulan had always been his own person, he never really listened to rules or authority from anyone except Yasir. He had a good head on his shoulders, he just got himself in with the wrong crowd at times.