22

"If this your idea of some fun prank call, it's not. You need to think before you decide to do things like this. This is not okay." The women on the other side of the phone said, sternly.

She did not enjoy getting a call from some boy telling her that her dead son is 'alive'. She grieved the loss of her son and husband for years. She had finally started to learn how to live through it and this is something she did not need.

Richie bit his lip hard as he started to panic, this was not a scenario he had thought of. "No no I'm not a prank caller. I'm not lying. I know this is totally weird for you but I swear, I really am your son. I have a birth certificate and and I can read the letter you sent me today."

"Fine." She said quietly.

Richie nodded quickly and dig through his bag for the card. He cleared his throat before he read the letter. Once he was done, there was a moment of silence from the other end of the phone.

"This is impossible. Did Wentworth put you up to this?"

Richie sighed and rubbed his face. He knew Maggie had a reason to not believe him but he didn't know how else to prove it to her.

"Please, you just have to believe me. I really am your son. I didn't die I-" he let out a small frustrated sigh. "What can I do to make you believe me?"

"I buried my son. He is dead. Don't call again or I'll call the cops."

The line went dead.

Richie groaned and hung up the phone. This was not how he expected the call to go. But it made sense why Maggie didn't believe him. She thinks she had a funeral for baby boy.

Mike walked into the living room and looked at Richie sadly. "Didn't go well huh?" He asked softly and walked over to him. "I'm sorry Rich." He held out a mug of cocoa and les him to the couch.

Richie looked at Mike and shook his head. "It went horribly." He mumbled and took the mug before carefully sitting on the couch, crossing his legs with a huff. "She fully believes she buried her son who died an hour after giving birth. I mean to her it's real so I get it but it's not the truth." He took a drink and sighed softly. "This is good thanks Mikey."

Mike listened to his friend and wrapped an around him comfortingly. "Oh?" He didn't know how to help his friend in this situation because it's completely bizarre.

Richie sighed and leaned onto his friend as he drank the cocoa. He thought of what to do but nothing came to mind. How was he supposed to convince a women who buried her son?

His eyes lit up as he thought of one thing he could do.

He'd have to go to her house.

Maggie's address was on the envelope of the card she had sent every year. He threw all the others away but he still had todays. First he'd have to collect evidence that he could prove he was Maggie's some. Obviously his birth certificate and some baby pictures, hopefully the birth certificate would be enough to convince her.

"What are you thinking of doing?" Mike asked as he noticed his friends posture change. He had learned over the years that you could never expect anything that Richie might do.

"Just thinking about how to convince her that her son is alive." Richie said and smiled at him. He continued to drink his cocoa.

~~~
Richie ended up going back home after having an amazing dinner with Mike at his farm. He didn't want to go home because he knew his day would be ruined, but he had too.

He quietly walked in through the front door and started going to his room but unfortunately, his father called his name. He sighed softly to himself and slowly walked over to the living room where his father was.

Richie stood behind one of the couches and looked at his father who was in a recliner across the room. "Yes dad?" He asked softly and fiddled with his fingers.

Weird enough, Wentworth did not reek of alcohol nor was there a can in sight. He seemed to be freshly shaven and clean.

That wouldn't last long.

"There's a gift for you on the table. Take it and get lost." He grumbled before turning the TV's volume back up.

Richie nodded a little and went to the kitchen. He grabbed the small box before quietly making his way to his room. He shut the door and set his bag down before sitting on his bed with the box on his lap.

This was unusual. He normally didn't get gifts from his father. He stared at the box for awhile before he slowly opened it, scared something would pop out and bite him.

It was a new flip phone.

Richie smiled as he carefully took it out of the box. All of his friends had some type of expensive and cool cell phone but he could never afford one for himself and he never in a million years thought his dad would ever get one for him.

He was about to set the box down when he saw a small note in the bottom.

I know most teens have better cell phones but this is what I believe you deserve.

The message would be considered rude to most people but it actually made Richie smile. In some way, his dad was showing he cared. Hopefully receiving this phone was actually a gift and he wouldn't have to pay his father back.

___________________
I don't know what year this is
Obviously either late 90's or early 2000's. You guys can decide :)