Two weeks later
(Homophobic slurs)

Richie sighed as he walked into the newest little cafe in downtown Derry. He walked into the back and clocked in before putting his apron on.

He had gotten this job a couple months ago since he was in desperate need of money. How else was he supposed to get his friends gifts or groceries so he could make school lunches?

Richie hadn't told his friends yet, he was embarrassed. None of them needed a job for money, they got allowances. He knows he can tell his friends anything, but they'll just feel bad and pity him. He doesn't like being pitied.

Plus they'll try to help.

Richie had made one friend at work, Mike Hanlon. Mike's grandpa was a farmer and the crops didn't always pay what they needed so Mike had gotten a job.

Richie had started out as a dish washer, but one day they were short a cook and when they asked him if he had any cooking experience, he of course said yes. From then on he was mostly a cook, occasionally he would be a waiter or a dishwasher if they needed one.

"Hey Rich." Mike said and smiled. "How you've been?"

Richie smiled back. "Hey Mikey, I've been good. You?" He asked as he started washing his hands and forearms.

"Good good, a little tired but good." He said as he flipped a quesadilla.

Mike was a sixteen year old and was only an inch taller then Richie, standing about six feet. He had caramel brown eyes and beautiful dark brown skin with short black hair.

"I bet. How's your pops doing?" Richie asked softly, drying off his hands before looking at a ticket.

"He's doing a little better. He was able to eat a whole bowl of soup this morning so it's an improvement."

Mikes grandpa had been diagnosed with Leukemia and hadn't been responding well with the chemo.

Richie smiled and nodded. "That's good! Proud of pops."

Mike chuckled softly. "Thanks Rich."

They worked in a peaceful silence for awhile before the manager walked into the kitchen. "Richie, we need a waiter. Sandra called in sick and she was the only one scheduled."

"Sure thing boss, I'll just finish this real quick." The tall boy responded with a smile.

"How many times do I have to tell you, its Jace." The man said with a chuckle. He shook his head before walking out.

"I think you're his favorite." The other cook said with a small laugh.

"What can I say? I'm everyone's favorite." He joked before putting his salad he was making in a bowl.

He took off his cooking apron and replaced it with the waiter apron, which had a pad and pen in one of its pocket.

"See ya at closing time." Richie said to Mike, giving him finger guns as he walked out of the kitchen.

He went around taking tables orders and hanging the ticket on the rack. Luckily there wasn't a lot of people here so Mike wouldn't be over worked.

Richie walked up to table as he was flipping to a new sheet. "I'm Richie and I'll be-" He looked up from his pad to the customers.

"Nice dress faggot." Henry Bowers sneered.

Richie rolled his eyes. "It's an apron asshat, but I guess anyone with your brains wouldn't know the difference."

The blond boy glared at the waiter and he curled his hand into a fist. "Watch your tongue Tozier, don't forget who you're fucking talking to."

"Oh I'm sorry, did I offend you? Huh, that's a change." He responded, shrugging. "Now, what do you assholes want?"

The leader of the group stood up and grabbed Richie by his collar, pulling him close.

"I've had enough of the attitude queer."

"I think you're forgetting I can kick you out of here."

"I think you're forgetting I can kick your ass tomorrow and any day after that."

"Oh that's right, you still haven't graduated."

A low growl came out of Henry as he tightened his grip, cutting off some of the others airway. "You little-"

"Henry, cut it out man. People are staring and I'm fucking hungry." Victor spoke up, looking at Richies slowly reddening face.

Richie made brief eye contact with him before Henry let go and pushed him back, but not before he saw Victor give him a short nod.

"Whatever, you'll pay tomorrow." The older boy said as he sat back down.

"Great, I'm looking forward to it." He said sarcastically. "Now fucking order will ya?"

They all ordered, Henry glaring at him the entire time. Once they finished Richie beelined to the kitchen, immediately leaning against the wall once he entered. He breathed in deeply as he leaned over, placing his hands on his knees.

"Are you okay Rich?" Mike asked concerned, staring at him from where he stood at the stove.

Richie just nodded vigorously and slowly lowered himself to the floor. "Just some stupid assholes gang from school, be glad you're homeschooled Mikey."

Mike chuckled and shook his head. "Bowers?" He asked and walked over to him, handing him a glass of water.

Richie took the glass and nodded. "Mmhm, I guess everyone's heard of him."

"I've had a few encounters with him and his goons." He sighed and shrugged, walking back over to the counter.

"Will you spit in his burger?" Richie asked as he stood up and taking a drink of the water.

The other boy chuckled and shook his head. "I'd love to, but it wouldn't sit right with me."

"But he's such an ass." Richie whined.

"Just give me the ticket and go wait tables."

Richie groaned dramatically and set the glass in the sink. "Fineeee." He sighed and hung the ticket up. "Sometimes, I hate you Mikey."

Mike laughed and shook his head. "No you don't."

_________________
Hey there