friends come first

- you and Peter have been best friends for about 9 months -

*Peter pov*
Ned, MJ, y/n and I were hanging out at my apartment.
"If I slapped myself in the face. What does that make me? Strong or weak?" Y/n said out of absolutely no where.
"Strong." Ned beamed.
"Weak." MJ said.
Y/n looked at me questioningly, looking for an answer.
"I think that makes you stupid."
Y/n dramatically clutched her chest and opened her mouth. We engaged in an intense but brief staring contest, before we both burst out laughing.
At that moment, Liz walked in my bedroom door.
"Hey" she said "your Aunt May let me in."
"Hi" I walked over to the doorway where was standing and kissed her forehead.
"You look beautiful" I whispered in her ear and kissed her again on the cheek.
"Hey yo! Keep it PG!" y/n laughed. I gave her a side look before I picked Liz up, spun her around and kissed her on the lips, and she giggled sweetly. When I looked back to y/n, she was shaking her head but smiling.
"I'm going to freshen up really quickly, and then we can get back to ... this." Liz gave me another quick kiss then walked off to the bathroom and I turned back to the others.
"Couldn't keep it in your pants, could you Parker?" y/n sighed jokingly.
I went over to her and bent in front of her face, so we were only centimetres apart. "Jealous" I asked sarcastically.
"You wish" she licked my nose.
"Agh gross." I said, as I fell onto the bed next to her.
"We'll that's our cue to leave I think." MJ stood up and looked at Ned. "Come on, let's go."
"Oh. Bye guys." I waved them off and y/n said goodbye too.
Then she reached over to turn on the radio on my desk.
'Shut up and Dance' by Walk the Moon started playing.
Y/n looked at me from beside me, with a huge grin on her face.
"No." I knew what was coming. She jumped up.
"Oh don't you dare look back, just keep your eyes on me." She started to lip sync and dance.
"Oh nooooo." I laughed and watched her dance around like a maniac for a little bit.
"Ooooooh" still lip syncing, she pointed at me and gestured for me to get up.
"Shut up and dance with me" she sang out loud and reached over to pull me up.
I sighed and got up, but I refused to dance.
She sang the whole verse until the line "she took my arm". And then she did.
"I don't know how it happened" I gave in and sang with her.
"We took the floor and she said..." we duetted.
"Shut up and dance with me!" I spun her around on the spot.
"Oh no. Did I miss the dance party?" Liz walked in and I danced towards her.
I placed my hands on her back as I sang.
"A backless dress and some beat up sneaks. My discotheque, Juliet, teenage dream."
We smiled at each other, then kiss as the song blasted out the radio.
The slower part of the song came on and I stopped kissing her to slow dance with her. I pulled her closer and she put her head on my shoulder.
For the last verse, Liz and I laughed at y/n as she carried on dancing right until the music stopped.
Liz turned off the radio and y/n sighed "oh that tired me out. I could do with some water."
"I'll get it." I volunteered and left to go to the kitchen.

*y/n pov*
"I'm fine thanks. I don't want anything." Liz called after Peter.
You laugh as you sit down next to her.
"So, what do you want to do tonight?" You ask.
"Oh, uh..." Liz looked confused. "I was kind of hoping to spend the night with Peter. Alone."
You paused. Peter had asked you to stay over that night. Liz looked down as you told her.
"But it's fine, I can go home. I suppose I have been bothering you love birds quite a bit recently." you laughed.
"Yeah, you have." Liz said bluntly.
You were taken aback by how serious she had become.
"Oh, sorry. I'll, uh, leave then." You picked up your bag and got to the door. "Have a good night."
You ran into Peter as you walked out, and he spilled a glass of your water on you.
"Oh shit, y/n I'm so sorry." He noticed your bag. "Hey, where are you going? I thought you were staying over tonight."
You try to pat yourself dry as you reply "I, um. Yeah I'm just going to go home tonight."
"Oh," he said " goodbye then."
You smiled "goodbye dork."
He rolled his eyes at you as you walked out the front door.

*Peter pov*
"hey what was that. Do you know why she left?" I asked Liz as I walked into my room.
"Peter, we need to talk." She stood up from the bed.
"Is everything ok?"

- the next school day -

*y/n pov*
"You guys seen Peter? I haven't seen him since the other night, and he hasn't answered my calls or texts." you looked to Ned and MJ as they shook their heads.
As they did, though, you saw Peter walking down the hallway towards you. He didn't look his best. His outfit and hair was scruffy, and he walked slowly as he was staring at his shoes.
"Hey, you ok?" You ask.
"I'm fine." He muttered.
"Peter... no you're not. I know you're not." You put your arm on his shoulder and stroked it, but he pushed it away.
"Then why did you ask!" He raised his voice at you, not quite yelling, and looked up. His eyes were red. He had clearly been crying.
"Peter, tell me what's wrong. Please." You looked back at Ned and MJ when he didn't say anything, but they stayed quiet too.
Just then, Liz walked up behind Peter. "Hi, Ned, MJ." She looked at me, "y/n", she said quieter. Then, she looked at Peter, and his gaze returned to the floor. Without saying hello, she walked off.
"Peter. Did something happen with Liz? Peter! Look at me. What happened?" You start to get angry as he ignored you.
"We broke up." Peter said, then pushed past you and walked away.
"Peter!" You yelled down the hallway at him. Quite a few people were staring, but you didn't care. This wasn't like him. You storm after him, infuriated that he left you.
You finally caught up to him, grabbed him by the arm, and pulled him into the nearest empty classroom.
"Peter. What the hell?"
He didn't say anything.
"What happened with Liz? Why did you break up?"
He whispered something but you couldn't hear.
"I can't hear you. Could you please speak up." You snapped.
"You." He said quietly, but not inaudibly this time.
"Me? What do you mean me?"
"The other night... it was our 6 month anniversary."
"Omg. Jesus. Peter why didn't you tell me!"
"I didn't think it mattered." He started to match my volume.
"Of course it mattered. She's your freaking girlfriend!"
"You're my best friend!"
"That's not as important! She should have been top priority! You should have told me and I never would have been there in the first place!"
"I wanted you there! I wanted the others there! And that is why I invited you!"
"Peter." You groaned at him.
"No! Don't do that y/n." He was still yelling.
"Do what?"
"Pity me! I don't need your sympathy! You should be happy!"
"What?! Why?! Why should I be happy that you broke up with your girlfriend Peter?"
"You should be happy that I chose you!"
"What do you mean you chose me?" You yelled, confused, but too engaged in this raging bitch fight to calm down.
"I chose you, y/n! She made me choose! And I chose you!"
You didn't reply. You had to process what he just said.
"Liz told me I had to choose between you or her." Peter continued. "She said you were getting in the way of our relationship, spending too much time with us. She told me to choose. I chose you, y/n."
You don't say anything. You stare at him. Your face was burning from all the yelling.
"Please, y/n. Say something."
You open your mouth to reply, but you have nothing else to say. You close your mouth again, and look him in the eyes, you shake your head at him.
"Y/n ..." he said quietly.
You turn and run to the door and push it open. You stop as you meet a crowd of people that had been listening in. You see Ned and MJ in the crowd, looking very worried. They try to push through the crowd. You turn. You see Liz, staring at you. You turned again, too quickly that you didn't notice if Liz had looked angry, or sad, or happy. You started pushing through the crowd and down the hallway.
"Y/n!" You heard Peter yell behind you, but you didn't turn back. You had to get out of here.