going home

*Peter pov*
We were on the plane, heading home. Y/n's head was on my lap as she slept. She looked so peaceful. I gently brushed her soft brown hair and out of her face. It broke my heart when I saw the burns and cuts on her forehead. She flinched at my touch and turned in her seat. Did she just?
"Oh my god, y/n just moved." I looked at Bucky, but he still seemed to be paralysed.
I looked back down at y/n. Her eyes shot open and I smiled comfortingly.
"Don't worry. You're safe" I assured. My hand was still on her face, and she reached up to grab it.
She sat up quickly, and pulled me over her shoulder. Before I knew what was happening, I was lying back on the ground.
"Ow. Geez y/n that hurt." I tried to pull myself up, holding on to her arm.
The others were laughing, until y/n pushed me back down on the floor as she punched me across the face.
Something wasn't right. This wasn't her.
"Ok, ok I think that's enough." Black Widow stood up and put her hand on y/n's shoulder. Y/n pulled Nat forward, and took the gun from her holster. She stood facing her, the gun pointing right at her face.
"Y/n."
The gun cocked. Everyone stood up from their seats and I got up from the floor.
"Y/n, put the gun down." She moved the gun from Nat to me. I saw her finger hover off the trigger.
A shot fired, and I stepped back. I stumbled but didn't fall over.
I wasn't hit.
Bucky had thrown himself at her, causing the gun to shoot up. He had regained full control over his body, and was now pinning her against the wall. His hands held up her wrists, but she kicked him in the stomach with her knee. She got her right hand free and tried to punch him in the face. He caught a hold of it, and used it to bring her to the floor.
Y/n struggled as Bucky held her down, and was pushing a finger into the side of her neck.
I looked around as no one was doing anything. They were just staring as she fell unconscious.
"What just happened? Is she ok?" I crouched beside her as Bucky stood up. She wasn't moving, but I could hear her breathing.
"You were too late" he was still looking down at her "she's gone."
"What do you mean she's gone?" Stark asked. "She's here and she's breathing. I think." He looked at me and I nodded to reassure him.
"They injected her with the serum and..."
"Wait. The super soldier serum?" asked Steve.
He nodded "and then they took her memories."
"What?" I stared in disbelief. How could they have just taken her memories?
"They took her memories?" He repeated.
"What. How? I don't understand."
"They took her memories!" He yelled at me "she can't remember anything! She doesn't remember you, or me, or anyone!"
No one said anything for a while. Everyone had sat back down, and y/n was left on the floor until we landed.
Bucky carried her off the plane.
"Don't worry. You got your memories back, we'll get hers back too." I heard Steve say to him.
"Mr. Stark. What's going to happen to her? Is she going to be ok?" I asked Tony as we walked into the tower.
"She's going to be fine. She just, might not be herself for a while."

Over the next few weeks, I saw very little of y/n. She was being kept in a room, which the others tried to convince me wasn't a cell.
It was locked, and had barely any furniture, what else would it be.
Banner and Stark were working together to find something that would reduce the effect of the super soldier serum on her health, and hopefully help her regain some of her memory.
They were yet to be successful.

I went to see her again, and told her all about the past few days since I had seen her.
"It's been hard without you there. I have to act like everything is ok." I admitted. "People think you have moved away, or you died. They haven't seen you since our fight, and I bet some people bet think I did something." I joked and looked over at her. She was on her bed looking at her feet. Her face was expressionless. Obviously, she couldn't remember our fight, or our school. But I kept talking, as I knew part of her was still there. The y/n I once knew was still in there, somewhere.
I checked my watch. It was getting late. I looked at y/n one last time.
"Please, wake up y/n. I need you. You're my best friend!"

*y/n mind*
-flashback to the fight-
"Your my best friend!"
"That's not as important! She should have been top priority! You should have told me and I never would have been there in the first place!"
"I wanted you there! I wanted the others there! And that is why I invited you!"
"Peter"

*Peter pov*
"Peter"
I spun around quickly to face where the voice came from. She was still looking down and I worried I had imagined it.
But then she looked up and I saw pain in her eyes.
"Peter" she said again.
"Y/n!" I ran over to the window, but she stayed where she was on the bed. "Are you ok?"
"Peter. Get them out. They're in my head. Please. Get them out." She moved back in the bed so her back was against the wall. She pulled her knees up to her chin and held them with her arms.
I didn't know what to do. I had to go find someone. Her brother.
"Peter!" She screamed after me. It pained me as I ran in the other direction.

I found Bucky in the lab, talking to Stark.
"She's awake! She spoke." I panted. "I mean, she remembers."
They exchanged curious glances at each other and followed me as I ran back to her room. She was sitting in her bed still and wasn't saying anything.
"Y/n. I'm back. I'm here. Y/n?"
She didn't respond. She was staring straight ahead at the wall.
I turned back to face the others. "I swear she could remember. She spoke to me."
"What exactly did she say?" Stark asked.
"She said my name. And. And she said something.  About voices. In her head." I looked at Bucky as his face changed.
"Shit. It's in her head" he said.
"What is?" I asked.
"It's like a microphone. Like a speaker. They're putting thoughts in her head. They'll drown out her own thoughts. So she can't think by herself." Bucky turned to Stark. "We need to take it out. Or, or break it."
"Ok. How do we do that?" He responded.
"Well, if we hit the back of her head hard enough, we can probably break it." Bucky suggested.
"What? No!" I interrupted "don't hurt her. You could seriously hurt her like that."
"It's not your decision" Bucky glared at me "but fine. Then, someone needs to take it out surgically."
"I know a very good surgeon." Stark smiled and started calling someone on his phone.