Chapter 8 - Weak

A/N: Weekend finally! Time to write this update. I hope you like this and thank you for patiently waiting. =) The days and time of the events for JinJin won't necessarily align with Gookie and Hye-won on this chapter. I hope it's not too confusing but I decided that it might be more difficult to follow if I tried to fit it on the same times of day for their stories.

---

Weak in the knees.

Can hardly speak.

In a daze.

Kang Gook heard those song lyrics long ago in passing but did not believe those things could actually happen to someone and he used to dismiss such descriptions as downright crap. However, when Shim Hye-won asked him his social security number after he asked the same information of the man she liked... his knees buckled.

"Omo! Are you alright? Gookie! Gookie! You look pale... oh my god, are you going to faint?!" Hye-won rambled on. "Gookie, I can't carry you!"

That last comment made Kang Gook chuckle. "Baby, I won't pass out."

Shim Hye-won blushed and stopped her blabbering. There was that endearment again, however, she stopped herself from assuming too much into it. Still worried about his pallor, Hye-won asked Kang Gook to sit on a bench. "Are you okay?"

Kang Gook nodded.

"Do you want me to get you something to drink?" she asked.

He shook his head.

"Did you, uh, get what I was hinting at?" she asked carefully, not risking the chance that it might drive him to really faint this time.

Kang Gook drew in a deep breath then nodded slowly.

Shim Hye-won frowned. "I guess it may come as a shock. When I realized it, I was surprised about, too, which is why I was acting strange but there it is."

When Kang Gook remained silent, she continued, "I mean, I know you may not feel the same way and that's okay. I just... I wanted you to know what I was dealing with because you still are my best friend, Gookie."

Because he was still quiet, Hye-won decided to give him some space. "I'll walk around to give you time to absorb what I said, but I'm not leaving you because I'm worried. So, if you feel awkward, then sorry but you can't get rid of me."

She had only taken a few steps when she felt a warm hand clasp hers. "Chipmunk, stay here. Sit beside me."

Quietly, Hye-won sat beside Kang Gook but not looking at his face, for the first time since her confession feeling shy about her bravado.

"Me?" Kang Gook asked. "Are you certain? Me?"

Hye-won nodded. "Yes. I couldn't believe it either. I mean, whyyyy... but... I guess I'm one of those."

"Those what?" he clarified.

"Those who fall in love with their best friend," she admitted, shyly.

Kang Gook chuckled, faced her and played with her hair. "You've always been so brave, Chipmunk." Gazing into her eyes, he continued, "Do you remember that one time when your family was worried that there was something off about your check up and we had to stay the night at the hospital for additional procedures?"

Hye-won frowned trying to recall. "There's been a few, Gookie. You'd have to be more specific."

"When we had to skip our plans to go ice skating," he reminded her. Hye-won had been so excited for that plan but unfortunately it had to be delayed because of that health scare. "We were all sullen and serious and you were smiling, consoling us and telling us that you'll be alright."