1

I can hear the train coming in the distance. after 15 years i go back to my hometown, encanto. i was 1 when we moved to my abuela. So I don't really remember anything about Encanto and the people there.

abuela passed away a year ago. it has been a difficult time for all of us at home the past 5 years. I had a 2 year old brother when I was 11 he died of an unknown disease. 1.5 years later my father died in a bank robbery, where he worked. my mom was so sad and couldn't do anything. i took care of here. now it is just the 2 of us.

'mom do you remember things from encanto, the people maybe?' Y/N asked to het mother. her mother looked at her laughingly 'don't worry, the people there are wonderful they have the best food and the most beautiful landscapes. I think you're going to meet the nicest people there you're definitely going to make friends and maybe-'Y/n interrupted her mother 'ye-, no thanks stop...' Y/N turned red and shy. this topic was so uncomfortable. she looked at her mother and saw that she was laughing. it felt good to see her mother happy again.

I open my eyes and see mountains in the distance with the beautiful plants. 'awake again I see.' I hear my mother say. Y/N gives a small simple smile 'Mom how long have you lived here in encanto?' Y/N's mom looked and thought 'I think until I was 35 then you were 1 and then we moved. why did you want to know that.' her mother looked at her questioningly. 'Did you have friends then? if so do you think they still recognize you? maybe we can visit them! or is that weird? did you keep in touch with them? what if they don't recognize you anymore?' Y/N got out of breath. 'wow wow wow, take it easy. I had my friends there yes and keeping in touch was difficult when... yes you know' my mother started to look sad. Y/N felt guilty 'Hey Mom, I think they recognize you. you're a strong woman, a great mother and certainly a great friend.'

we got off the train. I can't believe my eyes it's more beautiful here than my mother had described it. I smelled good food in the market and there were so many beautiful flowers, children were running around and people were dancing with street musicians. mama took my hand 'time to go home' said mama with a happy smile. "Mom, when you said it was so beautiful I didn't know it was so BEAUTIFUL." I said as I looked around.

after a 5 minute walk we arrived at a beautiful house we bought some things on the market for the house and some food because of the long journey we had made. many people were happy to see new faces again, they all welcome us. Mama was happy to be back I just felt that, but it still didn't feel quite right... 'Mom when we walked here did you see your childhood friends too?' I watched her water the last plant. she sighed a soft 'no' I felt bad for her. 'If you want we can look for them, we can ask people if they know where they are. I'm going with you I know this is hard, I think they missed you too.' mama look at me with a smile 'thank you mi vida. you're right, we don't have much to do right now. shall we go?'

'Mom what are your friends' names anyway?' I looked questioningly at my mother who looked stressed. 'uhm.. Pepa and Julieta were my 2 best friends, what if they don't know who I am anymore.' Mom looked sadly at her feet. 'I'm sure they recognize you. you haven't seen each other for 15 years that's always better than 50 years.' I hugged her arm and laughed to make her happy and we both laughed.

I followed my mother, apparently she remembers the whole route from the village. I would get lost if I walked alone. I saw in the distance a large colorful house. as we got closer I saw a big door with people on it. Mom stopped walking and I looked at her. 'before I knock you need to know something Y/N...' I looked at her intently. 'don't be shocked if strange things happen the people here are what... how should I say it... very different than you might think' I don't understand what she means by this but that's not my point now. I look at my mother as she knocks at the door.

____

i hope you enjoyed it. I'm so exited.