18

Third Person POV_______________________________________________________________

Em had woken up to Elle breaking into my room. Tomorrow was the last day to submit the list of the kissers for the kissing booth and she still had not given her an answer. Once she was finally able to kick her out of my room she started getting ready for school. As she opened her phone a text from Noah pops up. 

Can't wait for us to be at Harvard together S2

Em didn't know how to feel about Harvard, and Em wasn't sure it was for her yet. She also had been considering Berkeley, mainly because that is where her mom went and it would make sense for her to continue onto her mom's steps. She liked the message but did not respond, she knew he wouldn't understand her.  Em quickly got dressed, she had retired the short skirts and now used pants, and when she felt a bit fancier a blue overall dress over her white button-up shirt. She picked up her phone and there it was, a letter from The University of California, Berkeley. Em had convinced herself not to open any of her admission letters until she had decided where to attend. That way she was not influenced by the college's decision. 

She placed the envelope under her mattress so that no one would find out her decision before she did. When she was a little girl, Emily's dreams consisted of a white dress and a spring wedding, she loved flowers, most important she loved tulips, the ones her mother use to grow in the backyard. The ones that she watched die as she mourned her dead mother. Throughout her childhood, her mom never forced her to do anything. She had always felt free as if her future laid in her hands. As she got other Emily started to feel trapped by everything around her, there was no more freedom, no more tulips. She sighed at the sight of the colorless garden through the window, " I miss you mom", she whispered. 

"Six years", Elle spoke making herself noticed. Em looked up to her torn-eye sister and extended her hand. "She would hate this you know", Em said staring at the garden. "She would" Elle affirmed, "she would also hate those overalls", she joked attempting to get a laugh out of both of us.  "Hey!", I smirked, "it's not that bad". Elle smiled and squeezed my hand a bit harder. 

_________________________________________________________

The school was over for the day and Beth had dropped Em off at her house. She decided not to tell Beth about the importance of the day and just played cool throughout the whole car ride. She had lost her mother six years ago and every time it was mentioned, she was left being treated as this poor sad daughter.  Her home seemed quieter, what was usually a happy loud family home, turned into a school library for that one day every year. They would whisper, make small conversations but never laugh, especially not in front of her dad. That one day a year Emily relieved her worst nightmare. As she was getting to go to Marco's her phone started ringing, it was Noah. 

"Hey, Milly!" He greeted her with a smile. She smiled back as she placed the phone up in the bed. He could notice something was wrong, but he also knew what day it was so he stayed quiet and as usual tried to make small talk. "What have you been up to?" 

"Nothing much", she answered, "I have this Literature assignment due, and my partner and I have to finish everything before tomorrow." She didn't want to go into detail about the day, in spite of everything Em was still trying to keep her head up. "Oh it's Marco, he's picking me up in ten", Em said as she read the text Marco had just sent. "Marco? I thought you said you were going to work on a school project?" Noah asked suspiciously. 

"Yeah, I am. Marco is my partner."

Noah felt his skin turn warm, his fists clenched. He did not like Marco, especially since it seemed like he had a thing for his girl. "Why him?" he asked, almost as if he was whispering to himself. "What?" Em asked confused. "Why him?" Noah repeated, "out of everyone in your fucking classroom why is Marco the one you end up with?"