7.

The sun was streaming through my bedroom window as I stirred from my slumber. The peacefulness of my sleep was abruptly interrupted by the persistent knocking and urgent voice of my sister, Elle. "Oh my god, what the hell do you want?" I grumbled, burying my face in my pillow."We have a beach party to go to, c'mon, get ready!" Elle's voice pierced through my morning fog. My eyes shot open, and the realization hit me like a freight train. "Shit," I exclaimed, recalling the events of last night.A euphoric laughter bubbled from within me as I leaped out of bed. I swung open the door and pulled Elle inside. "C'mon, let's dance!" I proclaimed, my spirits soaring."Why are we dancing again?" Elle asked, joining me in the impromptu dance session. I couldn't reveal the happenings of last night, so I gave her a simple response. "It's just a happy day."Elle laughed and then left the room. I wasted no time and headed for the bathroom to prepare for the day while Elle enjoyed breakfast.
Over a breakfast table set for two, my father entered the room. "Good morning, girls. Parting soon?" he inquired, leaning in to plant a kiss on each of our foreheads."Yeah, we're heading down to the beach," I informed him."Uh, alright. Lee is here; meet me outside?" she requested. I nodded in acknowledgment and she added, "Bye, Dad!"Once Elle left the kitchen, my father took a seat beside me. He fixed his gaze on me with a serious expression. "That boy is trouble, Milly. You know better.""What?" I replied, perplexed."Noah Flynn," he stated. "I saw you two arriving together last night.""Dad, Noah was just giving me a ride home, nothing more," I explained."I don't want you too close to that boy. Do you hear me, Milly?""Aye, aye, captain," I responded, before leaving the kitchen, my thoughts swirling.

______

"We're going to the beach, suckers!" I exclaimed, causing Elle and Lee to join in with equal enthusiasm."Let's get this party started!" Elle announced, cranking up the music.The beach was bustling, teeming with students from our school. It felt as though every student—seniors, juniors, freshmen, and sophomores alike—had congregated here. The atmosphere was electrifying, and a challenge soon unfolded: seniors and juniors against freshmen and sophomores. Unfortunately, Elle and Lee belonged to the latter group, and I found myself pitted against them.Beth joined us at the beach shortly after, and her competitive spirit was unmistakable. "Eat my ass, underclassmen!" she taunted, raising her middle finger. We couldn't help but laugh at Beth's fiery energy.I scoured the crowd for Noah and spotted him near the challenge table. He greeted me with a smile, which I met with an eye roll. However, my playfulness didn't sit well with him, and he seemed disappointed. There was undoubtedly a peculiar connection between us, one that I couldn't quite define.I was next in line to compete, and I quickly assessed my challenge. The task was relatively straightforward: descend a slide, drink an unknown substance, and flip the cup. It seemed like a piece of cake. As the challenge commenced, I was ready to give it my all.My opponent for the first round turned out to be Elle, my own sister. The irony was almost too much to bear. "1, 2, 3, and GO!" The race was on. I raced down the slide, chugged my drink with such swiftness that it nearly resurfaced, and flipped the cup before Elle could finish her drink. The crowd went wild, and I turned to the nearest person, who happened to be Noah, for a celebratory hug. In an instant, he lifted me off the ground in sheer excitement, and in that brief moment, an unspoken tension lingered between us.I pushed him away, acutely aware of the awkwardness that had just enveloped us. It was a strange moment, and Noah's persistent gaze didn't help my unease.Beth took her turn, followed by many others, including students I barely knew. The one person I had been waiting for never came. After a considerable delay, I spotted him on the beach playing football with a group of girls donning tight Brazilian bikinis. These girls seemed utterly captivated by Noah, and a twinge of jealousy welled up within me. My competitive spirit prompted me to intervene. "I don't recommend..." Beth began, but I was already on my way to the action."Why don't you leave the ball to someone who actually knows how to play?" I challenged the girls. They swiveled around, ready to attack me."You guys can go," Noah interjected. The girls obediently retreated, akin to a school of fish swimming in unison. "Leave it to someone who knows how to play, huh?" Noah added, smirking."Are you going to pass me the ball, or should I fetch it myself?" I inquired, poised for action.
-______