20

EM's POV

Having spent the entire night awake, I had been thinking a lot. My thoughts turned to everything I said to Beth, Noah, and unfortunately, also to  Marco. Beth did not return home last night, so I could tell she was in such a bad mood that she did not want to face me. Why am I doing this to myself, why do I always dig my hole deeper and deeper? I told Beth she was a bad friend, told Noah I kissed another guy, and Marco well I didn't tell him anything. I decided to cut college week short and go back home. When I arrived my mail was on the kitchen island waiting for me. I sighed, I knew exactly what those envelopes were, even though I was not sure what they had written inside. I placed the two other envelopes along with the one I had received last week. Havard, Berkeley, and NYU, what will it be? Although I knew I had to decide soon, I also knew I was dealing with the worst things at the moment. I looked out to the garden and there Elle was, with Lee of course planning their booth. They had managed to keep all of the materials from last year and were repainting the ones that needed a new coat. "They seem really happy" commented a familiar voice. I turned around to find Noah leaning on the door. "I thought you were only coming tomorrow", I spoke ignoring the fact that he had not removed his eyes from me. "Change of plans", He paused, "my girlfriend decided to kiss another dude."

I sighed, I'm guessing drunk me did not tell him the full story, "She's a horrible person."

"I think she's just a bit damaged", he commented. " So what now?" Noah asked. I could see his eyes getting watery as he asked me that question. "I ... I don't know", I replied crossing my arms and looking down. I wanted to be anyone else but here right now, with him, talking about this. "I haven't had a lot of time to think this through", I explained. 

"Think it through? Em, you kissed another guy", Noah said raising his voice. "He kissed me", I corrected him. "Does it matter? you kissed back", he replied. "I...I...", I tried to speak but had nothing to say, Noah was right, I had gotten myself into that mess.

"I knew it from the beginning what his intentions were", Noah said angrily, "But you, like always so stubborn wanted to prove to me that I was wrong so you kept hanging out with him."

"Fuck Noah", I snapped, "why does everything always have to be about how you felt, what you said, what you did. What about me huh?!" I raised my voice, "What about Emily, what about the fact that she lost her internship, lost her place in the swimming team, lost her best friend? What about that?" Noah stayed quiet. "I am so sorry about the kiss, I did not see it coming. He's with my sister", I explained as my eyes started watering and tears started to fall down my face, "or was, I don't know. I have done this to Elle, AGAIN! What am I? What do I do to deserve this?"

"I'm to blame here but so are you", Noah finally spoke up, "don't play the victim and expect me to welcome you into my arms. Not this time. " He walked away and I followed, "Where are you going?"

"To pick up someone from the airport", he said slamming the door. I went back into my room and threw myself in bed. What the fuck was I doing? 

I cried into my pillow for the remainder of the afternoon, until it was time for the weekly Sunday lunch, except this time it was dinner since Elle and Lee had to work a bit later to get everything ready for tomorrow. With a coat of mascara and a good blush, I put myself back together. I found an old pink dress in my closet that had tiny white details on it, it belonged to my mom. I made my way to the Flynn household with my sister, Lee, my dad, and my brother. As we entered we were welcomed by the Flynns with a hug and a beautiful dinner table. Elle and Lee immediately went their separate ways and I decided to help Mrs. Flynn with the food. "Everything looks amazing", I said as I helped her move the food into serving trays. "Thank you, Emily!" She smiled. "Oh look who it is!" Mrs. Flynn said as the door opened. Noah had just arrived with a tall, beautiful woman. She scanned the room and once she noticed me she smiled, "You must be Emily". Even her voice was beautiful, she had a bit of an accent and her voice seemed so familiar. Wait, I paused my thoughts, it's her!