Chapter Twenty Five

"Huwag ka sanang mailang sa akin..." Yuka sighed as they started walking. He had not even acknowledge what she said earlier. He just looked at her for a long time, opened his mouth and pressed his lips together when he could not find the right words to say. It caught him off-guard and he didn't know the right words to say or how to react. 

Binalewala na lang ni Yuka iyon. Because what more did she have to say? She had no right to throw a fit if her own husband does not feel the same. He'd marry her out of convenience and that's all it would ever be. She just didn't want to make it even more awkward than it already was. 

"Oh... no." he shook his head, "Don't worry about it."

"Masaya lang akong kasama ka at... inako mo ang baby ko. I know it's a big responsibility and I can't thank you enough for that," Yuka tried to force a smile. 

His mind was still in shambles, everything that had happened today seemed to have overwhelmed him. First there was Krista, and then there was Tate, and now she just confessed that she liked him. He didn't know what to focus on first.

"I told you, you don't have to thank me. I benefit from this as much as you do," he said to her.

What he'd said sent an ache in her chest even though she knew it should not. She tried to smile through the ache. She wanted more from this marriage than just mere convenience at hindi siya papayag na di iyon makuha. Yuka just feels more challenged when Yvo rejects her. She wanted his love and she would have it, one way or the other, just like all the other things she'd wanted before.

Kumain sila sa burger joint na gusto ni Yuka at pagkatapos ay bumili sila ng ilang damit para sa baby. Yuka couldn't help buying some things for herself so she bought some maternity dresses and underwears, too. Her belly had been growing with each passing day and nothing fits her comfortably as they used to before. But mostly, she just loved buying new things for herself. Yvo was content with following behind her, waiting on her, and carrying her shopping bags.

"Hay, nakakapagod," she threw herself on the couch with a sigh but a huge, satisfied smile on her face. Yvo followed after her with her shopping bags in his hand. Ibinaba ni Yvo ang mga dala nito at umupo sa tabi niya.

"Are you okay?" he asked in a subtle worried tone.

"Oo, napagod lang ako. Siguro dahil buntis lang ako pero kung hindi hanggang closing tayo," she chuckled and then wiggled her little toes. "Nangawit na paa ko, di kineri ng powers ko."

"Lie down," he said.

"Huh?" nagtatakang tumingin si Yuka sa asawa.

"Just lie down, I'll massage your feet," he said.

And she did what he told her to do. She laid down with her head resting on the opposite end of the couch. Yvo rested her feet onto his lap and massaged them.

"This will help you feel better," he said.

"Wow, may masahista na pala ako," Yuka's eyes disappeare into cresents again as she smiled.

"I read that the feet are one of the parts that are most affected by water retention during pregnancy. This will help reduce the physiological edema in the lower leg," he explained.

"Ano ba naman yan? Pag ikaw nagsasalita para akong nakikinig sa prof sa science class ko," her face crumpled in annoyance. "Why can't we talk like two normal human beings."

"Okay," he said and his eyes stopped at the the shopping bags in front of them. They were paper bags of different colors and brands. "Is this why you want to be rich so bad?"

Tumingin siya sa tinitignan ni Yvo at napabuntong-hininga. Her shoulders shrugged, "I didn't nice thing growing up. Nakatira kami sa maliit na bahay na pinagtagpi-tagpi ng yero at kahoy. Pag mainit para kaming nasa oven, pag tag-ulang, tag-ulan din ang loob ng bahay. Tapos minsan kapag may sobra sa bentang meryenda, dinadala ako ng ate ko sa mall para magpalamig. Doon lang kasi kami nakakatikim ng aircon. Magwiwindow shopping kami, mangangarap kami. For a few minutes or hours, nakatakas ako squatter, maraming magagandang bagay ang nakapalibot sa akin. Doon hindi kami inaasar ng mga tao, walang umaaway sa amin..."