Season 2 Episode 35

In this situation, the shock in his eyes said more than any words could have. Concern both for the actual incident and for Romanoff's situation. After all, he knew only too well how much the little one meant to her and especially lately she had been emotionally unstable after Bruce had betrayed her and left her behind. A soft pop filled the room as her boxing gloves fell to the floor, keeping company with the ballet shoes lying in the corner. The whispered "I'm sorry" from his lips reached her eyes but only an imaginary murmur filled her ears. It was a mystery to her what had happened, but there was no question that something had happened. Rogers and she already understood each other well enough to communicate without words. Feeling powerless, Natasha slumped her shoulders and sat down on the mat lying on the floor. Steve walked up to her and breathed her name to reassure her, but she did not respond, just buried her head in her hands. A soundless sob escaped her throat and tremors ran through her body. By the time he reached Nat, her mascara had mixed with the tears that were welling up.

Her eyes looked up at him only to ask what had happened. "A squad of women managed to break into the prison and kidnap Abigail. Ross accuses us of having something to do with it and I wish we did." Slowly he pulled out a tablet and opened the CCTV video. "The power outage disabled the cameras, the only image we have is this one," he continued, showing her a picture of a black-haired woman wearing an equally black suit. The suit was unfortunately all too familiar to Tasha. She had worn this suit herself until a few years ago. From her reaction, Rogers realised that something about this dark picture had a deeper meaning. The question mark on his face reflected his confusion to her and Natasha swallowed before continuing: "These women are Widows. They would have to be remnants of the Red Room, which Clint and I wiped out a few years ago." From her posture, he concluded that he didn't really need to delve into this topic. Still, he would like to know more about her. After all, she knew everything about him but he hardly knew anything about her when it came to her past. She had never explained the story of Budapest to anyone before.

This event had been a conclusion to the darkest time of her life and should remain in the past. However, she could not help but feel guilty towards him now. After all these years he knew nothing of her time before S.H.I.L.D. Even a kiss and some hugs they had shared he had the right to know about her dark side. For this reason she took a deep breath and began to tell.

---The End ---