Chapter 8: The New Hire

June 7, 2140

Kanzen's POV

I'd done it. I'd set the record for the "Youngest Person to Start A Hero Agency" at the age of 22.

 I'd set the record for the "Youngest Person to Start A Hero Agency" at the age of 22

 Dad (All Might) was helping me move stuff into my new office.

"Any thoughts as to who you want as sidekicks?" asked Dad.

"The UA Sport Festival is coming up. I was thinking I take one of the kids as an intern, then offer to have them as a sidekick once they graduate."

"And for the time being?" I looked at Dad. Did he know something I didn't?

"If a hero isn't running the agency, they're either a sidekick or an independent hero. I probably won't be able to hire anyone until March, when more hero course student graduate, unless a pro that is running an agency dies or retires."

"Well, I happen to know of a UA graduate that's been working as an underground hero, but wants to join an agency. Care to meet her?"

"YES! Yes of course! What's her hero name?! When did she graduate?!"

"The Vision Hero: X-Ray. She graduated last year."

"This is great Dad! Thank you so much!" He smiles at me.

"It's no problem Kanzen."

That night I sent X-Ray a direct message through the Hero Network, asking if she could meet me at the Destiny Agency the next day. I got a surprisingly quick response, considering underground heroes usually worked the night shift. We agreed to meet at one in the afternoon the next day. With that done, I could finally get some sleep.

June 8, 2140

It's 12:50, so X-Ray should be hear soon. Nothing happened during my patrol, well... except for that robbery, but other than that, nothing happened. A young adult, female hero came in at 12:55. She looked exhausted.

"Are you the Vision Hero: X-Ray?"

"I am. You must be the Dual Hero."

"Correct. Let's head to my private office, there's some coffee in there."

"Alright." We head into my office, and I give X-Ray some coffee.

"Thank you," she really look grateful. She might have gotten off her shift late last night.

"No problem. So, why do you want to go from working as an independent underground hero, to being a sidekick?"

"Going independent was a mistake. At first, I thought it would be relatively easy, since I graduated from Class A at UA High, but I wasn't ready for the responsibilities of being an underground hero. I need to do more work with a full-fledged Pro." I nod silently as she told me this. I was Dad's sidekick for a year, then I was independent, and now I'm starting my own agency.

"How old are you?"

"I'm seventeen, but I'm turning eighteen in July."

"What's your quirk?

"X-Ray. It let's me see through walls." So, a surveillance quirk. She must have some tricks. I mean, she's an underground hero!

"Who did you do your work study with?"

"Endeavor." Great. Just great.

"Mind if I call him?"

"No, not at all!" I stepped out of the room and dialed my poor excuse of a birth-father's agency.

"Endeavor Agency!" came a cheerful voice, "How can we be of service?"

"Can I talk to Endeavor directly?"

"I'm sorry, but I'll have to know who's calling first." ok, that's fine, and makes sense.

"This is The Dual Hero: Destiny. Calling about a former Work-Study student."

"Of course. I'll put you through to Endeavor immediately."

"Thank you!"

Ring! Ring! Ri-

"What is it Destiny?" What a friendly welcome... NOT!

"You did a Work-Study with A girl called X-Ray, correct?"

"I did three with her. Why?" Three Work-Studies! Good job X-Ray!

"She's applying as my sidekick. Any notes on her I should know?"

"She's pretty well rounded like most UA kids, but her strength is surveillance. I'm pretty sure she did an internship with Gunhead. Talk to him about fighting abilities."

"Understood. Thank you for your time."

Click 

And he hung up. Thank God! I quickly dialed the Gunhead Agency. According to Gunhead she surpassed his expectations for martial arts, to the point that she was as good or better than most of his sidekicks.

After I made my calls, I went back to X-Ray, and told her was hired.