𝖎. Promises We Can't Keep

chapter one
promises we can't keep

🎧

  The eerie silence that floats in the air is the first thing Rue notices. Hawkins, Indiana, is a small and quiet town. For a brief moment, she swears it's deserted. It could have frightened her if she wasn't so relieved.

It is a difficult adjustment to go from a big city to a small town, from all the people and bustling life to someplace smaller and quieter. Rue has never felt so relieved at the lack of noise.

The soft clicking of a car's directional signal brings her back to reality. She blinks and nearly flinches, but then she sighs softly, leaning back in her seat.

She stares at the dark road ahead, only half-aware of a world outside the car's claustrophobic comfort, her father's hands stroking the wheel, the almost soundless changing of the gears, the pattern of traffic lights. Music plays from the speakers, barely loud enough to be heard over the radio's static.

The last time she looked out the window, they had passed a red—almost brown—sign that said, "Welcome to Hawkins!" in faded white letters. And now, all she could see were small and cluttered buildings and what is supposed to be the heart of the town.

They drive past a police station, where a man with a funny-looking hat stands outside. He's dressed in uniform while a cigarette sits between his lips and under his moustache. The man holds onto a coffee mug despite it nearly being midnight.