𝖝𝖎𝖛. Trick or Treat, Freak

chapter fourteen
trick or treat, freak!

📼

   Rue recalls the Wheelers house as being rather large, tall, and wealthy-looking. The trees around it had lost their green leaves, and the grass was covered in dead brown and orange hues. Halloween decorations had been affixed to the windows and entrance.

The front door swung open once Jonathan parked the car, and three boys ran out. They were practically screaming at each other, yelling out quotes from the movie, and even stopping halfway through the lawn to re-enact them. Rue sat in the car, staring out the window, wondering when she had become friends with a bunch of nerds.

She turned off her Walkman, grabbing the empty pillowcase Joyce had given her. Will followed her actions and went to open the car door and join the rest of his friends while they beckoned him and Rue to get out already so they could begin their long night of trick-or-treating.

"Hey, wait," Jonathan called before the two got out.

Will flopped back in his seat and said, "Yeah?"

Jonathan hesitated, "If I let you guys go on your own... Do you promise to stay in the neighbourhood?"

Will turned in his seat, glancing at Rue for a split second before turning again. The corners of his mouth pulled into a hopeful smile.

"Yeah," he quickly nodded, bouncing in his seat, "Yeah! I promise! Totally, right, Rue?" He looked back at her again.

"Yeah!" said Rue.

"And be back at Mike's by nine," Jonathan declared. He's unable to keep a serious look on his face after watching his little brother beam widely.

"Nine-thirty?" Will tried.

"Nine," he repeated, not willing to bargain any further. "Deal?"

"Yeah! Deal!"