𝖛𝖎𝖎𝖎. Rumour Has It

chapter eight
rumour has it

🎧

  Everyone had known about the walking tragedy of Rue Newby-Davis before she had the chance to step foot into the building. Nearly all eyes seemed to be on her as her shoes stepped into Hawkins' Middle School. She could hear the hushed whispers of her name spill from the lips of students. And while some tried to be subtle about it, others didn't seem to care and just stared straight at her and let their eyes burn holes into her skin.

Rue wishes Will was by her side—she would even be fine if Lucas was the one next to her. As long as she had someone there to ground her. She feels as if she were floating, and her body is working on its own, on autopilot.

She walks down the halls, unsure whether she should keep her head up or stare at her shoes. Back in Chicago, she didn't have to worry about lingering stares because there weren't any. She used to be a nobody, another student who blend with the crowd. Now, in this small town, she was someone. She was the new girl. Bob Newby's daughter. The girl from the RadioShack. The girl who hung out with the outcast Will Byers all summer. She was a girl who came from a tragedy. A girl with a dead mother.

The further she walks into the school, the louder the voices grew. For a moment, Rue feels as if she were back in the bustling city of Chicago. The crowd of kids at every inch and corner of the corridor, either walking past or simply standing around, was gradually louder than Rue had familiarized herself with over the summer. It was also the largest number of bodies she's been around since moving into Hawkins.