𝖎𝖝. The RadioShack

chapter nine
the radioshack

🎧

  "Do you still play baseball?"

Baseball used to be Rue's favourite thing in the world. Now, the thought alone of returning to the field made her bones tremble and fall apart until she was bones and all on the ground.

When the question passes her head, she feels herself freeze. Rue stops tapping the pen against her notebook, eyes flicking up to meet her father.

At first, she's defensive, as if to protect an already broken heart. "Uh, why'd you ask?"

Bob Newby shrugs casually. He unpacks a box of new video cameras, the same ones he was talking about getting Jonathan for his birthday last night over dinner. It is a Saturday afternoon, and Rue has joined her father in the RadioShack to help out restocking after a new shipment from Indianapolis came in that morning.

September and October flew by almost too quickly, with school and homework taking up most of Rue's time and Will and Lucas sometimes coming over after school, then helping her dad on the weekends, and she realized how slow summer was while she spent most of it in the house.

November looms near with the fallen leaves and colder air. Halloween decorations come with it, every nick and corner of Hawkins looks like a part of a haunted house, well, town.

And finally, finally, Rue has found her place within the small town. A pattern she can follow to keep herself distracted, to keep moving on and pushing forward. And new friends she's made at school without the help of Lucas or Will, which she later told them with a proud smile after they agreed to make plans with her.