𝖝. January Embers

chapter ten
january embers

🎧

  The afternoon sun has come to the brink of setting. Though, it still shines bright hues of warm oranges against the sad small town of Hawkins, Indiana. Orange stood the colour of Fall, likewise with reds and yellows. Orange is the colour of joy, warmth, and heat.

Orange might be Rue's favourite colour. After Green, that was. And pink. And purple. And yellow. God, she loved yellow. And then there was blue. Maybe Rue just loved every colour in the world.

The cool Autumn breeze that has once blown at her face began to slow as she starts to lazily push at the pedals of her bike. Her red scarf (which reminds her of how much she also likes the colour red), which has been blowing with the wind, along with her hair, now has fallen against her back.

Rue fixes her headphones before they slip off her head, and Soft Cell's Tainted Love continues to play in her ears.

  Sometimes I feel I've got to run away
  I've got to get away
  From the pain, you drive into the heart of me
  The love we share seems to go nowhere
  And I've lost my life
  For I toss and turn, I can't sleep at night

Autumn was a beautiful season, with all of the colours and cool breeze. It was Rue's second favourite season after summer. The wheels of her bike splashed on the puddles that had collected from the rainstorm the night before. It seemed that in the Fall, Hawkins would either have a bright sunny day or a horrible storm. But the fresh smell of the post-rain was lovely with the teasing hints of the warm sun that would be blocked away from the clouds minutes after it shined above them.