𝖝𝖛. Blue and Green

chapter fifteen
blue and green

📼

  Max Mayfield is, whether she'd admit it or not, a silent observer. She watches people from afar while tucked in the corner of the room, keeping to herself. Max watches them talk, how they express themselves in a conversation, and the reactions of the people they're talking to. She learns things about people without having to speak a word to them, down to the fragments of their personalities, their little tells when they're honest or when they lie.

Max wishes she couldn't tell anyone about this. She wishes she couldn't tell the way her dad's left eyebrow slightly twitched when he said she would always be his daughter after his new wife gave birth to a little girl. Max wishes she couldn't tell Neil Hargrove would do anything in his power so she wouldn't become the same fuckup as his son.

But she doesn't know the little things about anyone. Maxine doesn't bother learning the things about people she swears she doesn't give a damn about, about people she doesn't want to know about, about people she knows she won't give a damn about.

This is why she never gave much attention to Dustin Henderson or Lucas Sinclair, even if the two of them had practically thrown themselves into her life. She never gave a damn about them or their friends until that Halloween night.

Max noticed, then, how Dustin and Lucas spoke to each other with mere glances, how they'd turn to Mike Wheeler and Will Byers, and how all four of them already knew what the others were thinking. It was the little things; how they stuck together; how none of them let Will Byers stray off alone; how there was always someone at his side. They did it in a way that didn't make Will feel suffocated or like a freak. And Will Byers did feel that way-- he had a great way of hiding it.