𝖛. The Noise

chapter five
the noise

🎧

 There was still joy in Rue's life.

It was not usually seen, but it was there with every grim smile and beam to her eyes. Though often, she was seen with heavy eyes and a pale face despite it being the edge of summer.

She was clearly exhausted, but she was finding her balance within the small town of Hawkins, where she had a chance to start anew.

Ruth had taken Will Byers' advice about creating a routine. And so far, he had been right; keeping busy did help from thinking about it.

She decided to conjure up a routine consisting of four things she enjoys: music, plants, outdoors, and clothes. And four things she would like to attempt to better: consistent reading, cooking, knowledge of technology, and social life.

There were two ways she could get over this slump in her life, drowning herself in it or finding a way out. She preferred the latter. Rue was determined to recover; she wasn't going to let this chance to start again pass her by. She was going to be much better than she had been before.

The start had been slower than she would like to admit, but it was a commencement, and there wasn't a rush. She began unpacking her bags and finally moved in. Rue hung her clothes in her closet and folded them neatly. Then, she decorated.

Rue changed the plain white sheets into ones that held more colour; (baby pinks, greens, and purples), hoping they would brighten up the room and keep her from sulking in it.

Bob had walked past her room as she did so, and he insisted on her letting him take her shopping for decorations and new clothes. Rue gave in when he asked again during dinner, and the next day they found themselves outside of town, walking through the aisles of a home store in Illinois.