𝖝𝖎𝖎. I Miss My Mom

chapter twelve
i miss my mom

🎧

  Sitting across from Jonathan Byers in the comfort of the Byers family's dining room, Rue stared down at the textbook before her and tried very hard not to let him see just how frustrated she felt. The glass of water next to her notebook was empty. Staring blankly at the half-finished math equation drawn on her pages, Rue wondered if she could leave it incomplete.

Instead, she accidentally caught Jonathan's eye, who had agreed to help Rue finish her homework. Rue groaned. If she gave up, she would have wasted not only her own but also Jonathan's time.

The older boy gave Rue a reassuring yet patient smile, and she instantly felt terrible for thinking of giving up.

Rue glanced back down at her notebook, and when she spotted the equations and triangles again, she decided she hated math. Rue thought about asking Rosalyn and Alex for their homework answers tomorrow while chewing on the back of her pencil.

The faint memory of spending time with Max after school still lingered in Rue's mind, and she considered blaming Max for being the reason she hadn't finished her homework sooner, but she couldn't bring herself to. The two girls spent the whole afternoon at Bob Newby's house. Max told Rue stories from California while Rue couldn't stop listening.

Rue finished one more question while fighting back frustrated tears, and she watched as Jonathan tore away the books from her. He stared at her with an amused expression.

"You're being hard on yourself," he said, taking a sip from his glass of water.

Rue stared at him, gripping her pencil tightly. "It's hard."