𝖝𝖎. Max Mayfield

chapter eleven
max mayfield

🎧

  Rue has never thought of herself as the type of person to let a stranger into her house.

A day and a half ago, she knew she wasn't.

Rue doesn't know if Max counts as a stranger considering they have met the day before and knew each other's names. But Rue still doesn't know anything about her other than the fact that she skateboards and plays video games.

Rue wishes she can say she is more or less freaked out or worried about how fast things occurred, but she can't bring herself to.

Rue also wishes she can be mad at Max for forgetting to return her red scarf. Max's excuse was that she was rushing to get out of the house, away from her brother and stepdad, and it slipped her mind. Rue wasn't mad; she hoped Max would return the scarf eventually. It was a gift from Joyce, after all.

But now, she feels unsure of what to do with the red-haired girl sitting on her couch, digging through her dad's basket of cassettes.

Rue knows she has to do something other than stare at her. It has barely been an hour, and Max has made herself at home.

Rue's fingers twist and tug at the hem of her plaid skirt. She recalls the last five hours she spent with Max, walking around Hawkins, showing her every nook and corner of the Halloween-decorated small town. Rue kept her promise of offering Max the tour, even if she hadn't returned her scarf.