𝖎𝖎𝖎. Trouble in Paradise

chapter three
trouble in paradise

🎧

May 3rd, 1976.

  Rue's parents used to take her to a park a few blocks away from their homey apartment in Chicago all the time. Rue would be throwing a ball around with her father, who would try to videotape as much of it as possible, while her mother would be reading a book on a bench not far away.

There were plenty of other families around, dogs that ran around the field and other kids who climbed the play structure nearby.

  "Smile for the future," Bob grinned, holding his camera up to point it at his daughter.

Rue spun around, and she held a baseball bat in her small hands, and a helmet that was almost comically too big for her tiny head, and her hair was short but still in two adorable tiny braids that were at the brink of falling apart from all her running. Despite it all, Rue was beaming, and her eyes had never been brighter as she smiled for the camera.

  "Did you get it?" She called, dropping the bat on the grass and running to her dad.

  Bob kneeled as the polaroid began to roll out of the camera. The polaroid was still blank, but it did stop Rue from leaning on his shoulder and going on the tips of her toes so she could see. "Do I look okay?"

  Bob couldn't help the smirk on his face from growing when he saw the helmet on Rue's head drop to her face, blocking her sight. He chucked as she pouted and huffed.

  "I bet you look great." He said, pushing the helmet up so she could see.

  Rue's smile only grew brighter.