5

January 30

Kate Morton

You better not know what I did after Mom and Adam told me the "Good" news.I behaved catastrophically and drank myself drunk at my own birthday party...

I didn’t want to accept the situation of having to spend a whole year with this boy. Who is almost responsible for my father's death. I could have known that my mother would have a strange plan. How naive I am

So, I slept through the whole morning and, to be honest, I woke up to Mom kissing my forehead.

-Good morning, Kate!

-Good morning,-- I said in a sleepy voice. --What time is it ?

-My dear daughter,  it is about 11.25.

-What ? ,-- I sat up in my bed, --have I slept so far?

-Yes, you drank a lot of alcohol yesterday so we decided to let you sleep

How nice, I thought to myself.

-What will be today's program? , I asked.

-We're going home in the evening. But the girls still want to go to a cafe with you, so that’s my program today.

-All right, I'll get dressed and we can go.

****

I dressed up . I wore a simple shirt and a blue regular jeans. I ironed my hair and then walked down the stairs. I looked straight at Flo and Lando. They were talking in the living room. And there was even Savannah and Oli. Sav was already pregnant anyway. They were such a nice couple with Oliver. I want to live such a happy life too. But I didn't even have a boyfriend yet. I am blessed to be sure ...

I didn’t sit there next to them right away but went to the kitchen to finally have a coffee. I felt I needed it. Coffee is an important part of my life.

My mother wasn't home in the Norris house anyway, and I didn't see Flo's mother anywhere. I think they went somewhere together.
But I don't even know what will happen to the cafe now that Oliver's are here. I sat down and ate a croissant and drank my coffee.

-Kate, hi! We haven't even met! --Said Sav

-Hi ,Yes. We don't know each other yet,-- I smiled. --I'm Kate Morton, an old friend of the family,-- I told her

-I'm Savannah, Oli's bride. I'm so happy for you. , --hugged me.

-Why?

-I heard you're going to spend the 2021 season with Lando.

I rolled my eyes. Did Lando or anyone else tell Savanna this?

-Well, yes. It's very exciting,-- I said cynically.

-Aren't you happy for it? ,-- she asked in surprise

-Not really. I don't want to travel the world with Lando ...

-I see, but if you feel like it you can join us to chat. Don't sit here alone in the kitchen.

Maybe I’m not normal, but I joined them.
I entered the room with Savannah and suddenly everyone smiled. Lando would look at me at Sav and continue his sentence. I sat down on the couch next to Sav. Flo immediately looked at me curiously. What does she want?

-Kate, did your mom tell you we're going to go somewhere before you go?

-Yes, I can't wait to go,-- I'll try to smile.

-Super. Lando you don't want to join? --Oli asked

-Thanks, but no. It will be enough in March to spend time with Kate. , --Lando said.

The nausea waned as well as I thought about how lousy my year would be...

****

Luckily, I didn't have to be disappointed. Flo Norris took me to a wonderful golf club. And after all, Lando joined, but he wasn’t with us but with a friend named Max. I haven't met him yet, but he seemed like a good head. He was quite kind to me.

-Well Kate, we can finally talk about girly things now

-Yes, finally, --I told her and then I grabbed the bat and prepared for my blow.--
So what do you want to know?-- I asked her

-How did you have this love affair? , --I looked at her in surprise

-Seriously ?, honestly, never before. Maybe that's why I'm afraid of love. Throughout my life, I have always had problems with boys. There was never a boy who invited me on a date.

-Why? , you are pretty beautiful girl. I don't understand all this.

-I didn't understand either. But I still don't know why that was.

-But have you never been in love before? What about Lando?

-No, I haven't been yet. Or I don't know. When I was little, my life was completely different. I grew up with Lando, but I could never regard him as my love

-I see, thank you for saying that. But we're really playing now

Let's play golf for up to 1 hour. Flo plays this game really well. She is quite talented in this as well. When we were done it was about 6pm so we had to hurry. Our plane leaves for home in London in 2 hours and I return to my gray everyday life. I think if I get home I will  going to play tennis and I will change my mind

Lando led all the way to his house. I sat wordlessly behind him while Max sat next to him. When we got home to the Norris estate, Mom was already standing in the doorway waiting for us. We were late as always.

-Kate, hurry up. I don't want to miss the plane! Mom said

-10 minutes and I'm done, I told my mother and I quickly started packing ...

I had such worst feeling. When we wanted to come to Belgium, these same sentences were uttered...

Cisca (Lando's mother) took us to the airport again.

-Have a good trip, write when you get home!

Cisca hugged us and walked out of the huge airport building.
I don’t think it was a big mistake to accept this invitation in December. I looked at my mother who was very happy and then at the sky.

Dad, only you know what this year will give me. But it is sure to be full of surprises.

We walked into the plane and I didn’t feel good ...
I remembered leaving an important thing in the guest room.

Namely my diary.......

...