Chapter 18: First Encounter of A Foe...

"Are you okay?"

Mudkip slowly opened its eyes, the sun bouncing off of its body, but not managing to strain its eyes. Instead, a girl stood over it, a smile on her face. Mudkip immediately got up and bounced off of the rock, charging a Water Gun and threatening to attack. Ellie raised her hands and called out to Mudkip,

"Stop! I'm not here to hurt you. I just want to help you. Do you have a trainer that you would like to go back to?"

Mudkip dropped its guard for a second, throwing the water from its mouth at a nearby tree. It then shook its head in response, and Ellie reached into her bag and grabbed a Pokeball.

"So, how would you like to be a part of my team?"

Mudkip looked straight at the Pokeball, then to Ellie's warm smile, and was sort of surprised that she had made her offer so soon. Mudkip hopped back onto the rock and nodded, grateful for Ellie's caring for it while it was unconscious. Ellie smiled and said,

"You won't regret it, trust me!"

Mudkip pressed the button on the capsule, and the Pokeball opened up. However, Mudkip didn't get sucked into it like had been expected of it. Ellie and Mudkip both waited for something to happen, but nothing did.

"Huh. Do you have any reason for this happening, Mudkip?"

Mudkip thought for a second, and then a thought flashed in its brain. It walked off towards the riverside, signing for Ellie to follow after it. Ellie walked across to the riverside, crossing the rover and following behind Mudkip...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"So, is this something you wanted me to see?"

Ellie and Mudkip stood before a decrepit building, with paint rubbing off of its brick surface, and only small glimpses of light came from inside. It would have passed as a totally abandoned building, had it not been for the newly painted S on the front of the building. Ellie was unsure if these guys wanted to be found or not, considering the place was in the middle of nowhere, but the large S on the building made Ellie think that they wanted to be seen. Either way, Mudkip thought this place was of importance, so Ellie followed Mudkip through the double doors. They stepped into a reception area, with no one standing at the desk. Ellie just assumed that it was free to enter and walked straight through the doors.

She wasn't prepared in the slightest for what was on the other side.

She found dozens of tables, filled with people shouting wildly and all staring at a metal cage in the middle of the room. There, two trainers stood above, both armed with whips and guiding their beaten Pokemon. It wasn't like the Pokemon battles that Ellie had seen on TV, these were taken to the utter extreme. It seemed that the Pokemon in the ring were battling as if they were trying to murder the other, clearly more terrified of the whip from the trainer than they were of each other.

One Pokemon tried to slice open its opponent with the pointy blades on the ends of its arms, while one tried to club the other to death with its giant arms and fists. And, the people didn't care what was happening, they were just bothered over who won the fight, and whether their bet would be correct. The behaviour sickened Ellie to her core, and she felt like throwing up on the spot. She looked at Mudkip and asked,

"Why do we need to be in this place? Its awful!"

Mudkip looked at Ellie and nodded sorrowfully, almost like it already knew the pains felt from battling so brutally. Then, it started to make sense to Ellie why Mudkip would want to go back to a place like this.