Chapter 59: The Chains Grow Heavier...

Next up for battling was Ellie, who had registered Marshtomp for the battle. The trainer she was against was meant to be a steel-type trainer named Capri, although they didn't appear to have many registered battles. In fact, it hadn't even been reported that he had won any gym badges. Yet, he was in the tournament, so he must have won them somehow. But, despite the limited data, he still had his team noted down, and Ellie guessed that a Metang would show its face as the steel trainer's partner. It would certainly be a formidable opponent, but she knew that the Marshtomp sitting in the palm of her hand would be more than enough to send Metang to the scrapyard.

Ellie walked into the open air and into the stares of the entire crowd. Immediately, she noted the grandeur of the stadium and how it looked to be even denser with people than any other previous gym battle she had done before. Previously, she could've seen Seijo, Lucas, and Harry watching in the crowd. But, the scope of the arena made that task almost impossible, never mind how daunting it was to face every single person in that stadium. Small goosebumps ruptured to the top of her pale skin, and her hands shook more than usual. Her nervousness only seemed to worsen as she watched in awe as her opponent walked out with confidence.

Capri wore tight metallic chains around his wrists, leading up to chains that went over and under his arms, wrapping around until they eventually dug under the sleeves of his long-sleeved black shirt. He also wore a leather apron, typically brown. However, the colour resembled more of the black shirt that he wore underneath thanks to the charcoal and soot that had been stamped onto the apron. Then, there was the charcoal that had spread to his face, the black soot having blotted out the red blush on his cheeks and a bit of his pale skin around his cheeks. Then, there were his lustrous brown eyes, completed by a bright smile and jet-black hair. Ellie took a breath and waited for the referee to appear at the side.

Eventually, he did, but he wasted no time explaining any of the rules, considering that the attendees most likely already knew the rules previously.

"Please, throw out your Pokemon!"

"Metang, let's rock!", Capri shouted, his metal-type partner levitating gently over the earthy grounds beneath. Ellie looked at Marshtomp's Pokeball, her eyes filled with hope, and she threw out the Pokeball.

"Marshtomp, let's show them what we can do!"

Following Marshtomp's appearance on the battlefield, Ellie quickly picked up her phone and scanned Metang for information for the battle, just in case there was anything that she'd missed in her research before.

Metang, The Iron Claw Pokemon.

When two Beldum fuse together, Metang is formed. The brains of the Beldum are joined by a magnetic nervous system. By linking its brains magnetically, this Pokémon generates strong psychokinetic power.

Ellie nodded as she looked over at Metang, and knew that she'd have to find some way to nullify Metang's psychic power if it was strong like the Pokedex had suggested. The referee looked to either side of the battlefield, and cried out,

"Battle begin!"

"Alright, let's start this battle off right! Zen Headbutt!"

Metang floated along the battlefield, its mechanical scales clanking together as it levitated. Then, once it was a good distance away, a self-inflicted psychic force came over Metang's body, launching its head forwards.

"Uh, dodge!", Ellie said with a little hesitation as Marshtomp just barely dodged out of the way of Metang's skull-crushing attack. She was cautious of making another move too hastily in case it left Marshtomp open to another attack. But, the delay in response ended up doing the exact thing she feared. It allowed Metang to spin around and lock onto Marshtomp, then strike its torso with immense force.